Clutch sound?

Clutch sound?

Shazam

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ-5 Renegade with '74 304 V8 & Edelbrock manifold & carb, Heddman headers & sidepipes, T-150 3 speed, Dana 20, Dana 30, AMC 20
Hi guys. When I first start my jeep the clutch sometimes makes a "spinning/grinding" sound when depressed and I can "feel" it through the pedal. It goes away after a short while. I thought about checking the fluid - but have no idea where to find it. Any thoughts? Many thanks! :chug:

I am guessing throw out bearing, a delightful engineering master piece that requires the dropping of the Transmission to replace a $10 bearing. the good news is that after the tranny is down it takes about 2 minutes to replace the bearing. Some re assembly required.
Hi guys. When I first start my jeep the clutch sometimes makes a "spinning/grinding" sound when depressed and I can "feel" it through the pedal. It goes away after a short while. I thought about checking the fluid - but have no idea where to find it. Any thoughts? Many thanks! :chug:

x2 on the throwout bearing. If you have the engine running and the vehicle in neutral, and lift up on th clutch and the noise goes away, 100% bearing for sure.

On the side of the tranny is a hole that a ratchet without a socket in it will go into. This is the fluid check. Fill it with 90 weight until it just starts to drip out.

I agree with both of these guys.:chug:

Thanks guys. :notworthy: I'll see to it next week. Anything else good to do while the tranny dropped?

Any time I go to the trouble of dropping a tranny, I make real sure that the clutch is ok, don't wanna go back.

Also, replace the thrust washer while you are there.

Last edited:
Is this the same sound as a "ticking" or "whirring" sound? My tranny seems to have one of those that is always there, regardless of whether it's in gear or in neutral. The PO told me it was "normal"...at least as normal as his brother's Jeep also having a similar noise...

Thanks guys. :notworthy: I'll see to it next week. Anything else good to do while the tranny dropped?

welllll....."If It were me"..... I would toss in a new clutch, plate, turn the flywheel, pop out the pilot bearing and replace it, and check for any leaking on the tranny and Transfer Case . It's a crappy job, and I don't like doing it more than ONCE! :mad:

OH!, and It do sound like a throw out bearing is going boobs up on you.

I have to agree, for the cost of the clutch and pressure plate versus the work to drop the Transmission it is a good idea to replace everything while you are in there. Will you be going this your self of have you found a mechanic?:poke:

welllll....."If It were me"..... I would toss in a new clutch, plate, turn the flywheel, pop out the pilot bearing and replace it, and check for any leaking on the tranny and Transfer Case . It's a crappy job, and I don't like doing it more than ONCE! :mad:

OH!, and It do sound like a throw out bearing is going boobs up on you.

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom