Clutch

Clutch

Morris

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
78 cj5, 304, original drive train, original engine, original interior
I am going to pay a professional to replace the clutch on my 78 CJ5 I have had this thing for 5 years no issues except leaking of all fluids everywhere (smiles). My objective is to keep this thing in good shape for running around the farm, a little highway driving, and somedayngive it to son in law....... Question is... What else should be replaced since the dude will be putting in new clutch? I assume I will do suspension parts when the first thing breaks!

Btw. New here but u guys r awesome....

When replacing the clutch you should have the flywheel " re-surfaced" . That is a machining process that makes the flywheel totally flat and smooth for proper clutch engagement. If your clutch was really worn it could be grooved almost like a brake rotor.

Your new clutch kit should also come with a new throw out bearing. If it doesnt have one installed as well. Make sure they change out the brass pilot bushing as well. while your Transmission is out you want to pay a couple extra bucks to replace these things. If not you could possibly be paying the shop labor again to drop the Transmission at a later date to replace these simple parts.

The front seal on the Transmission is not a big job once the Transmission is down. It may slow down the leak just a bit.:D

Ok - fly wheel resurface or replace. Front seal. What else as he has it apart. Btwbthx for such quick responses

Ok. So I got fly wheel and front seal. I may have failed to mention when I fried the clutch, I ended up with coolant all over engine block! I assume unrelated to clutch failue.

Have him check to make sure the rear main seal is okay in the back of the engine. It is a common reason the clutches go out. Don't replace it if unless it's bad but just check for leaks.

Other than that I think everyone else covered the main things to replace:
1. clutch pressure plate
2. clutch friction plate
3. throw out bearing
4. resurface the flywheel
5. front seal of the tranny

Ok. So I got fly wheel

You say got flywheel? You bought a new one? You most likely just needed to resurface your current one. (They turn it at machine shop and get back to nice even surface for new clutch to work with...) The AMC 304 flywheels are balanced specifically for AMC 304 's so if you did get a "new" one, make sure it is from a AMC 304 .

I believe the term was externally balanced crankshaft?:confused: may be wrong, but do know using the wrong flywheel on a AMC 304 will be disastrous...

In case that's what you meant... :cool:

:chug:

I meant to say I understand need to resurface flywheel
Thanks for response

Ok cool... Sorry for the redundancy, just thought i should mention in case...

:chug:

~ JR

Morris, dont forget about that pilot bushing, its probably the cheapest preventive maintainence part you can replace, vary simple insurance plan to make sure all your other investments funtion properly.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom