Coil overthinkin?

Coil overthinkin?

tvince

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ7
I am havin a tough time gettin my head around this "Ballst resistor" issue I have a pointless distributor and a motorcraft ign module AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ,
I had a failure of the 1.3 ohm resistor wire that was in line with the + coil connection and solinoid (4 wire) Accel said I needed to "add" a .85 ballast resistor but is that added to the 1.3 ohm wire? they werent clear on that.
And from what I seem to see is that it is required for a point style dist of which I do not have.
MSD has one the 2F that needs a .85 ballst resistor if used with points but if no points does it still need the factory 1.3 ohm (its shown in tne wiring dig.) or none at all?
Right now I have a .85 ohm total resistance in line with the accell coil seems to work fine runs good....But I dont want to stress anything
I am looking for some insite I cannot make out what I need.
I heard on this forum that it is to protect the coil but points seem to be the issue I am reading about.
and would the ign module feel any of the coil current?
anyway thought I would check here before I start calling Mfg's
Thanks for even reading this I probobly just passed on the overthinkin bug

Some things deserve attention, please let us know what they say.:cool:

I am havin a tough time gettin my head around this "Ballst resistor" issue I have a pointless distributor and a motorcraft ign module AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ,
I had a failure of the 1.3 ohm resistor wire that was in line with the + coil connection and solinoid (4 wire) Accel said I needed to "add" a .85 ballast resistor but is that added to the 1.3 ohm wire? they werent clear on that.
And from what I seem to see is that it is required for a point style dist of which I do not have.
MSD has one the 2F that needs a .85 ballst resistor if used with points but if no points does it still need the factory 1.3 ohm (its shown in tne wiring dig.) or none at all?
Right now I have a .85 ohm total resistance in line with the accell coil seems to work fine runs good....But I dont want to stress anything
I am looking for some insite I cannot make out what I need.
I heard on this forum that it is to protect the coil but points seem to be the issue I am reading about.
and would the ign module feel any of the coil current?
anyway thought I would check here before I start calling Mfg's
Thanks for even reading this I probobly just passed on the overthinkin bug

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom