Coil Question

Coil Question

phyrph0enix

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 Jeep CJ-7 6cyl 5spd
So this is my coil... It's rusty as :censored: and I think it's the cause of my crank/no start condition. I was gonna go ahead and replace it. Except, the only coils I can find at parts stores have the usual two-post design. Has anyone else come across this? Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

If I understand your point; Yours does too, the plastic cap that the wires are connected to is a terminal end. Pull it horizontally and it will come off.

So this is my coil... It's rusty as :censored: and I think it's the cause of my crank/no start condition. I was gonna go ahead and replace it. Except, the only coils I can find at parts stores have the usual two-post design. Has anyone else come across this? Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

You can try to clean the posts and the connector. That may be your only problem - a bad connection. It's hard to get into the connector to clean it.
I don't like that method of connecting the wires to the coil. Sure it's a quick and easy connection but how often do you remove your coil? I prefer to cut off the OEM connector and put on crimp connectors like this:
pict389.jpg

You'll get a much better connection. Also use some dielectric grease to prevent corrosion.
Do you do much off-roading? An OEM coil can short out when it gets bumped around. Most coils have oil in them. If you off-road often the wires in the coil may short together. I had that problem. It caused my jeep to stall out on remote mountain trails. So then I got an MSD high vibration coil. These have an epoxy core. The wires won't short out on bumpy trails like the oil core coils.
8222_full.jpg

Summit Racing, Jegs and other companies have them.

Do you do much off-roading?

Umm... I might if this :censored: thing ran!

So now might be an appropriate time to digress about my issue...

Basically what happens is it cranks, jumps (not like in gear, but it sounds like it wants to start) and dies. It only fires off like one or two cylinders before sputtering dead... This is at the tail-end of a tub-swap-filled winter. I think someone did the "nutter bypass" computer workaround... but I'm not sure how well they did it. I have a multitude (maybe 3 or 4) of female connectors that have no readily visible plug and some melted plastic sockets that again, aren't plugged into anything. I didn't touch anything with the engine harness during the swap specifically because I wanted it to start like it did before I started the project. So those disconnected plugs were disconnected when it ran. So far, I've replaced the coil, plugs, wires, and fuel filter. when I move the carb lever, gas sprays out - so I don't think it's a fuel delivery issue...

I'm really hoping it's not a timing thing... cause all my tools are in VA... I'm in MA! (and I know they both have an A in them, but it's still an 8h drive...) ...and timing tools are expensive!

I'm tired... going to sleep!

If anyone has any ideas to bat around, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks!!!
Vince

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom