Body Compartment

Body Compartment

Patrick

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
82 CJ5, LS 6.2, NV3550/D300, D44/30

68 CJ5, 350, Muncie/D18, D44/27 under construction
Does anyone know what this compartment was for? Most importantly, what hardware was used to keep the lid clised? Was it hinged? It’s taking up cowl space where I intend to place my engine controller.

Attachments

• 0117709F-A81B-4F44-AA91-578191741F6B.jpeg
    0117709F-A81B-4F44-AA91-578191741F6B.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 68
The image doesn’t show it too well and can be confused for the air duct with the grille in the center on late CJ’s. This one is off to the passenger side.

Well. No one knows, and the internet has very limited info on this compartment. Some pictures show that it’s for the battery, but I am not putting my battery there. I will get creative and come up with a way to secure the cover. I guess I will use it to store my recovery gear, and cram the engine brain in the middle behind the speedometer.

Well. No one knows, and the internet has very limited info on this compartment. Some pictures show that it’s for the battery, but I am not putting my battery there. I will get creative and come up with a way to secure the cover. I guess I will use it to store my recovery gear, and cram the engine brain in the middle behind the speedometer.

What year Jeep? That has a grill on it for air intake on CJ7s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is in fact the battery compartment for military CJ’s. I need the mounting hardware for the lid.

I am restoring an oddball. And even then I come to find out the lid was secured in different styles hardware. Thanks.

Thanks again GRR, for that useful link. I will come up with something. I might get the closing latches from an ammo box and make it look right. No Home Depot hardware, said the car show inspector. I am restoring this Jeep mutt to show quality level.

Thanks again GRR, for that useful link. I will come up with something. I might get the closing latches from an ammo box and make it look right. No Home Depot hardware, said the car show inspector. I am restoring this Jeep mutt to show quality level.

Here is a source for the thumb screws

https://jeep1942.com/?page_id=4714

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or I can fab and spot weld the metal straps on my lid...

I will definitely consider these options. My original question is answered. GRR, I appreciate you, sir.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks