Connectors to tap into factory fuse block

TSB8C

Senior Jeeper
Media
Resources
Solutions
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7, 420 HP "ZZ6 EFI" Crate engine, 700R4, D300, Dana30 front, Dana489 rear, 4.56 gears, 4" lift
I am planning to add AC to my '84 CJ soon, and in preparation for that I needed the connectors to hook into the front (under the dash) side of the fuse block where it has "taps" for AC and the AC Compressor. There are other taps there also for Radio, Cruise, etc. These are specialty connectors that clip into the designated spots and are "keyed" so they only fit one spot. I have seen these individually on eBay on other places for $10-$20 each (one pigtail connector). But I found a set of seven for about $20 (tax and shipping included). This set has seven connectors (the plastic plugs) plus the spade terminals needed. You'll have to crimp or solder them yourself to make the pigtails needed. I found that of the seven in the set, three are the same - the red ones that fit the "Radio" spot in the fuse block. Three of the others (the white, green and brown) fit the "A/C", the "CLK" and the "T/G SW. FRT." spots. The black connector in the set doesn't fit any of the slots, but can easily be modified by trimming the ridge on one side to then be used wherever you need it (in my case the "A/C COMP" spot). The set is the "ATO Fuse Box Power Tap Set Connectors & Terminals for Jeep CJ5 CJ7 CJ8 1980-86". I got mine from eBay, item # 234133602176. This is an American Autowire # 500429 part. So if you're looking for an easy way to tap into these available power sources in your fuse block, this looks like a great way to do it.

20240626_102312.jpg 20240626_101755.jpg 20240626_101930.jpg

Looks like the right way to tap for power. Have a q for you. While you are there, do you think you can come up with a part number for the factory brass terminals that hold the fuses…. The blower circuit ones no longer hold the fuse firmly, the flashers pop out and the ones for the instrument lights fuse broke altogether. Thank you.

If you need the newer ATO style fuse clips, those are GM OEM part # 12020347 and they can be obtained from The Repair Connector Store SKU # 5803C.
fuse_clip.jpg

And for reference, the male split-tab connectors in the fuse block bulkhead (where the two halves join at the firewall) are SKU # 158912RC. These split tab connectors are also used in some other plugs in the CJ harness.
split_tab.jpg connector.jpg

Thank you thank you thank you.

If you need the newer ATO style fuse clips, those are GM OEM part # 12020347 and they can be obtained from The Repair Connector Store SKU # 5803C.
View attachment 101890

And for reference, the male split-tab connectors in the fuse block bulkhead (where the two halves join at the firewall) are SKU # 158912RC. These split tab connectors are also used in some other plugs in the CJ harness.
View attachment 101891 View attachment 101892
Those terminals in the lower photos are Packard (now Aptiv) 56 Series and still widely available. Waytek Wire has a good inventory. I have become a good Waytek customer. Great prices and products, and to date, stellar service. I purchase almost all my automotive wiring supplies from them.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom