crank pulley differences and years?

mylittlecj5

RIP Mike, we'll all miss you
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'74 CJ-5,
360 AMC Engine.
35x12.50x15 TSL Super Swamper tires.

In a frame off rebuild for a long time...
CJ and I were kinda talking about this today...
I have a 3 bolt, 2 groove crank pulley on my 360 in my CJ5 . Obviously the engine has been swapped in, and I don't know what year it is.
I am having trouble finding a 3 groove, 3 bolt pulley to replace it so I can install a York A/C compressor for On Board Air.
I just bought a '88 GW 360 that has a 4 bolt crank pulley, set up for A/C. I have an extra set of York brackets (no pulleys) that match it exactly, but they do not fit my CJ-5s 360.
SO my question(s) is this:
what years of AMC 360s use a 3 bolt or a 4 bolt crank pulley? Can they be swapped out by replacing the harmonic balancer? Are the early 360s different than the later ones?

The 4 bolt here is one I mistakenly bought a couple years ago. It didn't fit. The one on the right is off my CJ-5s 360.
videocamerapics151.jpg

This shows the difference in height between the 2, and the different sheaves in the pulleys.
videocamerapics152.jpg

Also, does anyone have a pic of how the A/C is mounted and the belts run on an early (3 bolt) A/C engine?

Sounds like you need a 4 bolt harmonic balancer & a puller.

I know they cost more, but are more plentiful.

You might also want to try Bulltear's forum, their all about AMC engines.

I've been to bultears many times...they just don't carry the pulley I want.
Is the harmonic balancers interchangeable between years? what is the crank end difference? what about internal balance? thats what I can't find.

I think the three bolt crank pulley is 71' or earlier.

That's the way it goes. First your money then your clothes.:eek:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks