Cruise Control In a CJ7

Cruise Control In a CJ7

ThisGuyUKnow

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7 Laredo 4.0,Nv3550,D300 Twin Stick,AMC20 3.31, 31 BFG
Honda vtx1800c
I am proud to announce that I now have cruise control!:driving: Just wired it up today and it seems to work! I used a setup from a 88 grand wagoneer because it is fairly simple and self contained, oh and the control box is stamped AMC so later on when I sell my jeep I can convince some poor sucker its stock :D.

I still have to find permenant mounting for all the components but should have some pics tomorrow for anyone that is interested.

ruise-Control-Computer-84-91-for-sale_390276630010.jpg

I use my hand throttle as a cruise control sometimes when Im out on the highway. :D

i thought that was the point of a hand throttle?

i thought that was the point of a hand throttle?

No...lol...but it works :D
I primarily use my hand throttle when im running my OBA...to keep RPM's up while Im out of the cab airing up. Same deal with the winch.

It also works great in certain offroad situations where you have one foot on the brake, one on the clutch and need to apply gas :cool:

Like the CC idea. :cool: Look forward to tomorrows pictures.

Hey Jim,
did you make your own or buy a kit ? Kicked around putting one on but have never gotten around to it. Would you do it over again ? Did you mount it on the shifter ?

Hey Jim,
did you make your own or buy a kit ? Kicked around putting one on but have never gotten around to it. Would you do it over again ? Did you mount it on the shifter ?

ok I will take some, remember though I have 4.0 components so like the Throttle body and cable bracket are different. I also have an electronic vss that I just tapped into. I am sure it will work as far as the cables on a carb cj but the vss might be a challenge. You would have to either somehow use a waggy speedo cable with the built in vss or find a 91 xj vss that has the electric and cable hook ups.

also everything is a mess because I havent found permenant homes for all the components.:D

http://home.comcast.net/~amc_jeep/images/cruise control 1 '89.gif
wiring is fairly simple

Hey Jim,

Hey John,
I made my own using a bicycle shifter. I would do it again on any Jeep I owned, it's one of those accessories I use a lot. I mounted mine on the column, but Im considering relocating it to the shifter.

i may be the new guy but i think it was an option when first purchased from the dealer.
i got a 1978 CJ7 and it looks stock to me.
i also got the service manual and there is a section on how to trouble shoot "cruise command"
the the cruise command switch is intergrated to the turn signal lever

Cruise control would be sweet! I've wanted to do this sense changing my 73cj5 column over to a Chevy bronco column. The cruise control lever has been teasing me ever sense. Riding flat freeway I always think of it. Anyone have pic of there hand controls? I once set one up in a car for a paraplegic friend but never thought of putting it on a jeep. Seemed to bulky.

Hey John,
I made my own using a bicycle shifter. I would do it again on any Jeep I owned, it's one of those accessories I use a lot. I mounted mine on the column, but Im considering relocating it to the shifter.

I'm looking to install a manual throttle. The shifter sounds like a great location. I've looked at PTO controls,too beefy. Lever style like for lawnmowers, not it either.
Any particular bicycle shifter?

Any particular bicycle shifter?

Not really. What you are actually using is the brake lever off the bicycle, and you just tighten down the center bolt on some of them to set drag, others you dont need to. I would suggest going to a bicycle repair shop or similiar...they will probably just give you what you need.

Also...You can make a really great swing-away drivers side mirror by utilizing the seat adjuster off of the same bicycle. You just remove the bolt where the mirror attaches to the hard mount, and install the seat adjuster...to use it, you just pull on the handle to relieve tension, swing your mirror in towards the hood, and tighten the handle back down. Nothing to it. This mod worked great for me as I was always hitting trees and rocks when wheeling or hunting.

I love my hand throttle. You can make your own with the shift lever from a bike. Or you can buy a kit.
Teraflex 4870400 - TeraFlex Hand Throttle Kit for 87-06 Jeep® Wrangler YJ, TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec
96135-lg.jpg

Ya know...maybe it was the shifter. For some reason, I keep thinking I used a brake assembly. They work pretty much the same. :wtf:

Also...You can make a really great swing-away drivers side mirror by utilizing the seat adjuster off of the same bicycle. You just remove the bolt where the mirror attaches to the hard mount, and install the seat adjuster...to use it, you just pull on the handle to relieve tension, swing your mirror in towards the hood, and tighten the handle back down. Nothing to it. This mod worked great for me as I was always hitting trees and rocks when wheeling or hunting.
I really like this idea. I tried to find that seat adjuster and couldn't locally. All I could find were these:
asset_7488548.jpg

This is what you need.
asset_7488489.jpg

If you look at my gallery you will see I often move my mirror out of the way on the trails.

Also back on the hand throttle. Yes you need a shifter. A shifter stays in the location you put it. A brake springs back.

Dave, that top seat adjuster you posted will work. You just need to dissasemble it, toss the ring, and use the shaft assembly that is left. It's how I made mine and it worked perfectly.

Just went out and looked at my hand throttle, and I really cant tell if it is a handbrake or if it is a handshifter.
I did this so long ago, I cant honestly remember :D

There's nothing but the top screw providing drag on my handthrottle, no locking mechanism or anything :confused:

That's what i'm looking for. :chug::chug: Thanks guys !
Where's yours located Dave? Shifter?
yes, I have mine on the shifter.
I got a Terra Flex kit. For $35 try this link:
TeraFlex Hand Throttle Kit for 87-06 Jeep® Wrangler YJ, TJ & Unlimited - Acme Jeep Parts
When you get it you will realize it's just a bike shifter you'll be saying you should have bought a $15 shifter and some cable, and a bracket to mount the cable to the carb, and the cable clips and... and ... and ... oh the heck with it. Maybe $35 isn't so bad after all.

Hahaha.:banana: And,and,and. Funny.

I've spent a dollar to save a dime more than once.
So here we go again.

I just vulturized a bicycle I had lying around...didnt cost me a penny :D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom