CTO switch help on a 304

CTO switch help on a 304

chodette

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ-5 Renegade 304/V-8
I am new to this forum and praying that someone can help me figure out my vacuum hoses as I am trying to get my 1981 CJ5 Renegade (V8/AMC 304 ) ready for smog here in CA. Pretty much everything smog related was removed (it was my first car, bought for me when I turned 16, and I recently had it shipped here from Arkansas) I think I have done a pretty good job considering I haven't been able to find any vacuum diagrams specifically for my Jeep, but have found some that have helped. I have ordered a FSM, but am not expecting it until next week and I am very impatient!

Here is my question. Does this engine not have a EGR CTO switch AND a Spark CTO switch, or just an EGR CTO? I cannot locate anything that looks like a spark CTO. See the pic...I think that is the EGR CTO:
P2050007.jpg

If so, there is pretty much nothing connected correctly. The top left plug is routed to connect to the air assembly, but they are not connected and have been closed off with screws. I removed the screws and reattached to the air assembly, but according to the famous colored vacuum line diagram, the port that it is connected to on the CTO should go directly to the EGR.
P2050008.jpg

All the rest of the ports currently are looped back on to each other. The diagram shows the the bottom one plugged, the bottom right going directly to the charcoal canister, the top right and lower left "T'd" and going into the carb.

I have yet to put on the air pump, just trying to get as much of the vacuum system correct and go from there. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Have you looked at the vacuum diagrams for your 81 in the "DOC" section of this site, under "CJ7 " ? Start there.. if youre not sure about the diagrams your using. You might be able to answer some of your quetions right there.

Let us know what you find, BK.

Thanks! I had not looked there...but EVERYWHERE else. I actually broke the switch yesterday trying to remove one of the hoses and when I called to order a new one they said the my 81 should only have a 3 port CTO, the 83's had a 5 port. So now I am even more confused:confused: Looking at the diagrams in the doc section and it looks nothing like what I have going on, but like I said before I am missing the air pump (which I am having to replace soon) so now I don't know what switch to buy!!! I may just wait until the FSM comes in...

Is your jeep a Fed 48 or CA emissions ? I can look it up, I have dealer parts catalog, actually as far as that goes, you can too, in the DOC section. Ive got the old paper catalog, but the PDF is here on the site. Take a look there, dont trust the parts "guy" or their cataloging, check for yourself first. Also possible that your motor is not an 81 (swap).

It is definately an 81, no engine swap. I will look in the parts doc and see what I can find. It is a Fed 48:)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom