D44 Lock Right Rear Locker Install

D44 Lock Right Rear Locker Install

ianjcx

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
75 CJ5
I installed a Richmond Gear Lock Right in rear Dana 44 of my Jeep. Thought I would share some photos and insight. I have never done one before so I employed the help of a friend to read instructions, pass tools and fetch Beer.

I was able to pull the brake back plates without disconnecting the brake lines, just make sure you have enough flex in the lines.

I elected to change the bearings since they were all gummed up, so I did the inner and outer seals at the same time.

When you pull the axle out, I suggest swabbing out the inside of the tube, I had a lot of crud in mine. Didn't want that getting into my new Locker and Jamming it up. A little brake cleaner and a chunk of cloth pushed through did the trick.

I had to pull the ring gear to get all the old stuff out. Putting the new Locker in was very tight. The instructions suggest using grease to hold things together. This trick works well so I suggest using it.

I used Lock Tight on all the Ring gear bolts and the Bearing caps.

Questions or comments??

Attachments

• Open Diff.jpg
    Open Diff.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 2,113
  • Empty Diff.jpg
    Empty Diff.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 1,429
  • Gears Out.jpg
    Gears Out.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 578
  • Gears n Beers.jpg
    Gears n Beers.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 605
  • Locker installed.jpg
    Locker installed.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,044
Thanks for the write up - good pics too! (not so sure about the beer though! :laugh:)

You must have a 3.73 or higher gear - anything lower and the ring gear is thin enough to get the locker in without pulling the ring gear.

Edit: Yep - 3.73 - just saw your sig --CJ

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom