d44 ?

d44 ?

perty boy

Jeeper
Thanks
I bought an 86 CJ7 last year. The p.o. welded the spider gears in the rear Dana 44 . i would like to keep this axle, any ideas on getting these gears out or should i start looking to trade or buy another axle.

You don't have to replace the axle, but you will need to replace the gearsif you are doin away with the welded gears.

If he welded it correctly all you need to do is replace the spider gears.

Yes, that would be quick, easy and inexpensive.
But if you want a locker or Limited slip this would be the time to do it.
That Lincoln Locker is good only off road. You don't even want to try it in the winter.

what ratio is it??:cool:

Every time I see someone weld gears they weld the spider gears to the case while they're welding them to each other. It holds up better that way.

Either way, seriously welded spider gears will be a bear to break apart. I'd look at welded gears as an opportunity to upgrade to a Limited slip or locker of some kind, depending on what I was going to do with the Jeep.

Yes, that would be quick, easy and inexpensive.
But if you want a locker or Limited slip this would be the time to do it.
That Lincoln Locker is good only off road. You don't even want to try it in the winter.
Just for the record, I drive a lincoln locked XJ 75 miles a day year round on Vermonts nasty snowy, icy, crappy roads and LOVE how the thing drives. A locked rear end is totaly unnoticable on the road, its only in a parking lot you even notice that its there.....Thats all carry on.:)

buy an auto locker and replace all that junk

yeah probly gonna put true trac in it but looking for any ideas on busting the welds to get out the gears

yeah probly gonna put true trac in it but looking for any ideas on busting the welds to get out the gears
No need to bust the welds if you are going to put in a Tru Trac. You will be taking out the whole differential.
BTW the Tru Trac is an excellent Limited slip. I have it in the front of my CJ5

Edit: Unless you plan on regearing both axles you will reuse the ring and pinion gears. They were not welded. It is the spider gears that were welded to the axle gears inside the diff.

Last edited:
no way I would re use the carrier, but thats just me.:cool:

As dave said, if your going with a true trac don't worry about it, you won't be using it anyway.

New diff. The question is mechanical or Limited . How hard and ofen do you wheel? You can;t go wrong with a Detroit. I had a TruTac in the front Dana 30 , had to slightly apply the brake to get it locked. Now it's got a Detroit too.

Anybody need a Dana 30 large gears TruTrac?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom