Dana 20 2WD low...

Dana 20 2WD low...

rumblephish

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 Jeep CJ-5 "Levi's" edition, original AMC 304 V8, T-150 transmission, Dana 20 transfer case, AMC 20 rear end. All stock except for a hotter ignition.
I'm not a member over at JeepForums.com but I read up once in a while. I was perusing a thread about Dana 20 2WD low and several members mentioned that all Dana 20 's had a 2wd low detent that just wasn't marked. Then another member chimed in and said that Dana 20 's never had a 2WD low detent and that it was just wear and slop that manifested itself into a 2wd low "slip".

Well, I beg to differ on both points. My 1978 CJ5 with a T-150 and Dana 20 Transfer Case has a 2WD low detent. And it was marked on the shifter knob as "2L"

4H
2H
N
2L
4L

Anyone else ever see this shift pattern on the knob of a Dana 20 ?

My '79 had no 2wd low, but due to worn parts it had a "2wd low".

This is the stock sticker for a T-150 /Dana 20 :

shift_pattern.jpg

A better option is replace the worn parts then Twin stick it:
http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/dana_20_twin_stix.htm

Last edited:
I'm not a member over at JeepForums.com but I read up once in a while. I was perusing a thread about Dana 20 2WD low and several members mentioned that all Dana 20 's had a 2wd low detent that just wasn't marked. Then another member chimed in and said that Dana 20 's never had a 2WD low detent and that it was just wear and slop that manifested itself into a 2wd low "slip".

Well, I beg to differ on both points. My 1978 CJ5 with a T-150 and Dana 20 Transfer Case has a 2WD low detent. And it was marked on the shifter knob as "2L"

4H
2H
N
2L
4L

Anyone else ever see this shift pattern on the knob of a Dana 20 ?

I've never heard of a knob that was marked that way. I hate to say it but...

worthless.png

He may have a vehicle a PO bought a custom knob, not unheard of to have the wrong knob, My 70 has a 4 speed knob and it had a t 14

now, if you take the little ball(or is it a pin) out of the shifter mech, doesn't it shift into 2 low? Not stock but nothing hard to do either

I've never heard of a knob that was marked that way. I hate to say it but...

worthless.png

I know I know! :mad:

I don't have the stock knob anymore. Like a dumba** I threw it in a box and never saw it again.

Also, FWIW, the drivetrain on my jeep has fewer than 30,000 original miles on it. Nothihng is worn out, yet. It has a definate detent that is 2wd low just after nuetral. And it was marked that way on the knob.

Damn, I wish I kept the darn thing! :mad:

Dana 20s can be twin stick just like a Dana 300 , which would give you a 2wd low.

Dana 20s can be twin stick just like a Dana 300 , which would give you a 2wd low.
there is a pin or ball that is in the
linkage of a Dana 20 single stick shifter that holds the two sliders in position so it shifts into 4 low, people have taken this out to get 2 low once it was found out that the item was subject to wear and the would go into 2 low on non modified t cases after time. Wether Jeep ever offered a 2 low, I do not know and have never heard they did, however it was a mos that was easily done by owners. Now if someone offered an after market shifter knob, that is extremely possible, but of all the stickers I have ever seen, I have never seen a factory 2 low shift pattern in a CJ.

You can remove one of the interlocks.
The shift knob with the 4h, 2h, n, 2l, 4l is stock from another jeep.
Just not from the 20 that I know of.
If you do remove the interlock, or if it's worn there will be a definate
feeling on a 2l detent or shift position.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom