Dana 20 speedo drive

Dana 20 speedo drive

Dennis77CJ5

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'77 CJ5, 304, 3 speed.
My speedo does not work. The drive does not turn in the transer case thus not turning the cable. I have replaced the cable because My jeep did not have one when I bought it. Any ideas on what goes bad and does anyone have any used parts since I cannot find new anywhere.

Thanks Dennis

If you unscrew the fitting that the speedo cable threads onto on the Transfer Case , as it goes into the case, you will find a gear behind it. Pull it out and see if its stripped, sheared, or missing. That would be the place to start.

The fitting the cable threads onto should have a hex on it to get a wrench on it to remove.

The 77 has a drive gear that will come loose from the shaft.
remove the gear insert and clean the parts well before putting a couple of drops of lock tight in the joint and letting it cure over night before replacing it.:cool:
I think the gear was originally pressed on and now you are going to "glue" it together. The locktite will draw into the joint by capillary action, be careful not to get it in the bearing surface.
this happened to me.

Right on IO.

The large gear on the rear output shaft is probably slipping. Mine did. It would start working and then as if warmed up, it would quit. If the cable get rusted, it will cause the plastic gear to slip on the output shaft. You can use a small screw driver to gently poke the gear to see if it spins.

Pull the rear housing off to put the loctite on. Not too tough.

I let mine go for several years, then tackled it. All depends on how bad you want a speedo. . .

This is from a Bronco, which used the Dana 20 as well. Ignore the Ford on the drawing.

Ford%20D20.jpg

Well looks like I will tackle this when I put my lift kit on. It will be warm this week so on goes the new 4 inch rough country lift. I will fix the speedo problem as well. Thanks guys for the replys.

I didn't pull the tail stock, just the speedometer gear. It was the small gear that slipped on mine. If you clean the area at the base of the stub that the speedo cable screws onto you will see the hex head to unscrew it from the tail stock. It may be the large gear but I would check the small one first, it's a real easy fix.:cool:

Opps

Blowup.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom