Dana 30 drum problems

Dana 30 drum problems

dalenelson

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ5, 350, fiberglass tub, tilt hood
Need help with a Dana 30 open knuckle 11 inch drum. Took it apart today to find that I need bearings, shoes, wheel cylinders, seals and misc. springs. Is there a good disc replacement for these , that does not cost 700-1000 dollars. Also where is the best place to find these parts?

The easiest way to convert to disk brakes is to replace the steering knuckle with a later model. As long as its a Dana 30 axle you should be able to put on a steering knuckle and hub from a Dana 30 . Then the rotor and all other components should work. You should be able to get most of those parts from a junk yard except of course the brake pads. I would also recommend new rotors.
For OEM replacement parts I usually go to RockAuto Auto Parts

The easiest way to put disks on a 75 is with the 6 hole caliper brackets. They were used from 76-78. You need the rotors and spindles too. It's a bolt up.

There are a few around.

Otherwise the knuckles can be changed to the 2 bolt calipers brackets 78-up.
FInd a whole axle.

Is there a list of compatible years and vehicles that will work- so when I go to the junk yard I will have a place to start looking. There is a conversion kit on E-bay that says it is a direct bolt on using your hubs. That means there should be a new backing plate and rotor and caliper that I should be able to get at a parts store instead or Am I not thinking clearly

The years are CJ's 76-78. Not to many in 78, but I've seen them.

Look at the knuckle. If it has 2 bolts holding on the caliper bracket, that will be the later style. You will need the knuckles then. Pop the ball joints and put whole knuckle on.

If you don't see any caliper bolts, it's the 6 bolt caliper bracket. A bolt on. Get the spindles too.

images

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom