Dana 30 questions

Dana 30 questions

imacarfan2

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
72 CJ5, many AMCs
My 72 CJ5 has the standard axles in it: Dana 44 rear and Dana 30 front. It's already lifted (1 7/8" wide springs) and seems to have some decent gears in it, but I'm wondering how strong the Dana 30 is. I plan on going with 33"s for now, possibly stepping up to 35"s later on. I'd be wheeling it in the New England area, so there's trails with rocks and such. Will the 30 hold up to some abuse? Should I think about stronger shafts, just leave it alone, replace it all together, etc.? Another question. The 30 has drum brakes. How difficult is it to convert to disc in front? I believe you can add Dana 44 outers, and a lot of 44s came with disc, so I'm thinking it can't be that tricky.

I may end up swapping in either a different front axle or replace both axles if I decide to go with 35"s, but I'll post that question when that time comes.

Thanks!

The 30 should be fine with 33's as long as you don't abuse it to much.
It will also handle 35's with an open dif.pretty well, if you go locker you might want to up grade, but I would wait till you see if you need it.
Disc brakes can be done with later model 30 with discs easyer than 44 knuckels but both will work. If you go 44 knuckels you will need new axles with 760 joints to match the outer shafts of the 44.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom