Dana 300 Speedometer gear

Dana 300 Speedometer gear

LASTCJ786

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
86 CJ7 258, T18, Scout 300,twinstick ,Dana 44 front locker, Dana 44 rear locker 3:73's,4"lift ,1" body. 35" tires,York OBA,Warn 8274,Fullcage.
Hi, I'm looking for info on the 1980 Dana 300 speedometer gear.

What were the tooth counts on this year?
and is it compatable with the 1980 TC146 Dana 300 ?

tooth count is determinent on tire size and gear ratio :chug:

Hi, I'm looking for info on the 1980 Dana 300 speedometer gear.

What were the tooth counts on this year?
and is it compatable with the 1980 TC146 Dana 300 ?

You tell us the tooth count on your speedometer gear. Then tell us how far off your speedometer is. If your speedometer is off by 6% then you need a speedometer gear with 6% more teeth (if your speedometer is too high).

All Dana 300 speedometer gears are compatible, it's just a matter of changing the teeth as a percentage of how far off your speedometer is.

Guys ,1980 Dana 300 's are by themselfs. short tail housing screw in speedo cable. I pulled out a speedo gear from a Dana 20 it's a steel gear.

Looking for info on a 1980 speedometer gear I'm running 3:73 gears and
33" tires.

Guys ,1980 Dana 300 's are by themselfs. short tail housing screw in speedo cable. I pulled out a speedo gear from a Dana 20 it's a steel gear.

Looking for info on a 1980 speedometer gear I'm running 3:73 gears and
33" tires.

I have a Dana 300 Transfer Case that came out of a 81' CJ5 I bought new.
It has a different tail-housing from all the other Dana 300 's I've seen.
I was under the impression it was a early CJ5 only part, but that's the way Jeeps are. Nothing is set in stone.:rolleyes:

Can you pop out the speedo gear and garb some #'s off it and maybe a picture?

P.A.T.C. Speed Shop
2134 B. East Texas St.
Bossier City, LA. 71111
888-201-2066
www. transmissioncenter.net

Call these guys that's where I got mine.;)

with both the Dana 300 and the Dana 20 the speedometer gear is in the rear tail housing. the Dana 300 gear looks like this:
HPIM1097.jpg

check out this site:
Speedometer Gears for Dodge and Jeep, Gear . . . . .
The Dana 20 is much smaller and as you said all metal. It may have 11 teeth so each tooth makes a bigger difference.
You say you have 3.73 gears and 33 inch tires. You will need about 31 teeth on your speedometer gear. I have a chart for this. But don't take my word for it. The best and most accurate way to get the correct gear is to remove yours and count the teeth and find out how far off your speedometer is off.
You said "1980 Dana 300 's are by themselfs". I'm not sure what you mean. Maybe the previous owner of your jeep adjusted the speedometer by adding a speedometer calibration gearbox. This is a small device that goes between the speedometer cable and the tailhousing. It sticks out of the tailhousing and the speedometer cable plugs into it.

So what happened?
Did we achieve resolution?
:popcorn::beer:

Yes That's it i found out The short housing 300 has the same speedo gears as a 1980 Scout. Next step find one.

I'll try there thanks.

Here's what I found out.

I pulled a Dana 20 gear 15 teeth 890206 steel (speedo cable drivers side)

I pulled my Dana 300 (scout) 13 teeth 890182 steel.(Speedo cable pass side)

Both speedo gears look the same . But the Jeep spins one way the Scout spins the other way.

Let me ask you this? Can I press off the Dana 20 gear flip it and put it back on . and then install it in my Scout Dana 300 ?

Yeah I know I smell the smoke. You have to think about this one.

No. flipping the gear wont make any difference. Compare this to a threaded rod. Let's say the threaded rod has right hand threads. Then turn the rod around. Now would you have a threaded rod that has left hand threads? No. The thread wont' change.

that's a good point thank you.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom