Dana 44s Junkyard Search/What to look for

Dana 44s Junkyard Search/What to look for

Vvajk

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ-7, 4.2L inline six, T-5 Tranny, Dana 300 2 stick T-case, AMC 20 rear axle, limited slip diffs.
Been thinking about swapping out the stock axles for Dana 44s. What other vehicles had/have the Dana 44 axles that I should be looking for as I rove the junkyard?

Been thinking about swapping out the stock axles for Dana 44s. What other vehicles had/have the Dana 44 axles that I should be looking for as I rove the junkyard?

Sooo are you looking to stay as close to stock width as possable, or are you trying to go with a wider track?
Are you breaking things now, or just caught up in the bigger is better, axle thing thats going on now.

Sooo are you looking to stay as close to stock width as possable, or are you trying to go with a wider track?
Are you breaking things now, or just caught up in the bigger is better, axle thing thats going on now.

I'd like to stay as close to stock width as possible. I'm not breaking anything, and probably won't be harsh enough to really ever snap an axle - but you never know, sometimes I get adventurous.

Truthfully, The only reason I'm thinking about it is I keep hearing/reading that it's a "good idea" to do on a CJ, especially with a lift and bigger tires and that the AMC20 is a weak set up. If someone can talk me into just staying with the stock axles, I'm very open minded to it.

OKAY Old Dog. . . After typing all that I went and looked at your photo gallery. I can guarentee I won't be doing anything with my Jeep you haven't done with yours. I see you have the AMC20 as well so that puts my mind at ease a little more about it. So did you put a "once piece axle" kit in yours?

Last edited:
I'd like to stay as close to stock width as possible. I'm not breaking anything, and probably won't be harsh enough to really ever snap an axle - but you never know, sometimes I get adventurous.

Sounds like you just need a 1 piece axle swap in the rear.
I run 35" Swampers on my stock Dana 30 front, and the only trouble I've ever had from it was a blown axle U-Joint during a mud race. The stock Dana 44 rear has held up really well.
If you don't have the shop for the fab work (or the funds to get one of the overpriced kits), and you don't get real serious with the wheeling action, then a Dana 44 swap is not really worth it, IMO.

BTW, I've read the AMC20 rear is just about as strong as a Dana 44 in the center section, just the axles and the tubes are the weak link. A 1 piece axle swap and welding the tubes should take care of those pretty easy.

I do have 1 piece axles in mine, I went with Superiors but mosers are good aslo, I would go with either one. I also went with after market front shafts that have the bigger u-joints just in case. I've been running them for 6 years now without any problems. (knock on wood)
I don't do any mud bogging but I do play in the rocky trails alot.
I don't want to talk you out of doing anything but from what you say you are doing I think you will be fine with the 20 with 1 piece axles and your stock 30.
I don't see anywhere what size tires you are running but the 20 and 30 will hold up to 33's and 35's are starting to push them, but 35's are pushing the 44's also.

Last edited:
Sounds like you just need a 1 piece axle swap in the rear.
I run 35" Swampers on my stock Dana 30 front, and the only trouble I've ever had from it was a blown axle U-Joint during a mud race. The stock Dana 44 rear has held up really well.
If you don't have the shop for the fab work (or the funds to get one of the overpriced kits), and you don't get real serious with the wheeling action, then a Dana 44 swap is not really worth it, IMO.

BTW, I've read the AMC20 rear is just about as strong as a Dana 44 in the center section, just the axles and the tubes are the weak link. A 1 piece axle swap and welding the tubes should take care of those pretty easy.

I do have 1 piece axles in mine, I went with Superiors but mosers are good aslo, I would go with either one. I also went with after market front shafts that have the bigger u-joints just in case. I've been running them for 6 years now without any problems. (knock on wood)
I don't do any mud bogging but I do play in the rocky trails alot.
I don't want to talk you out of doing anything but from what you say you are doing I think you will be fine with the 20 with 1 piece axles and your stock 30.
I don't see anywhere what size tires you are running but the 20 and 30 will hold up to 33's and 35's are starting to push them, but 35's are pushing the 44's also.

You both helped to put my mind at rest concerning the 20. Sounds like maybe I was getting a little carried away. It's going to be a daily driver and an occasional weekend warrior. I don't need a Sherman Tank.

OLD DOG: I'm currently on 31s, but will probably go up to 33s for the next set of tires, but never bigger than that. I guess I should be good to go with a 1 piece axle kit then.

MY LITTLE CJ5 : I don't want to sound like an idiot, but what do you mean by welding the tubes?

That puts my mind at rest with the AMC20 . This may sound like an idiot, but what do you mean by welding the tubes?

He's talking about welding the axle tubes to the center section so they can't twist. A lot of guys do this, although I have not, but it is a good idea.

^^^what he said^^^

Ran 33-14.50-15 super swamper tsl on my 30,20 with stock 2 piece.
Never gave me grief, but I also know how to drive.
The skinny pedal isn't always your friend.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom