Dana 80? please help!!!

Dana 80? please help!!!
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 cj7 with factory ac, 5 speed, and 4.2L inline six. the cj has 4X4 Body Armor bumpers front and rear with rear tire swing arm. a full width axle swap in the process and enigne? rebuild or swap in progress.
i have acquired a full width dana 80. unfortunately it does not have anything on it just differential and housing. the casting identifier is 80 on the pumkin and the BOM is 6034490-4. i cant find this BOM anywhere the closest thing i can find is 603990-1 which is a Dana 60. could this be an actual Dana 60 with the cast on the pumkin just flawed. i have no ring gear to measure. if it is an 80 what hubs and parts will fit? i was told 60 hubs will work. it is a full floater and was told it came from a single rear wheel vehicle but the make and year had since been forgotten by the old man i acquired it from. the build dates are hardly there so im not put them in. someone please help i have plans on putting this axle in before summer and finishing the jeep. but i have a back up plan to use a toyota full width in casee i need to. thanks for your help in advance.

Checked my sources and the closest thing I can find is:
BOM - 603470-4 Which drops a 4 and is a 7 not a 9

Which would make it a:
JEEP Model 60 REAR 1979 - J20 PICKUP

Go here to search Dana's BOM:
Dana Holding Corporation - The Expert Axle Bill of Material

You can search by just the first few #'s if your not sure on the rest.

Also a link to the Dana 80 Maint. Manual which has ID info in it:
http://www2.dana.com/pdf/5332.pdf
Just in case.

IDaxlemarkings.gif

Last edited:
My neighbor had a Dana 80 under his Cummings 4X4 and that thing dwarfs a 60 so you should be able to tell the diffrence in a 60 and 80 just by its physical size and the attaching bolts on the cover:chug:

sorry its been so long get back on my feet from surgery. the axle housing has 3 1/8" tubes. so i guess it is a dana 60 there is no signs of any sleeves in the differential housing to step it down from 4 to 3. anyone tell me the measurement from the brake mounting plate to the end of the spindle for dual or single rear wheels i was told this one was a single but without anything on it i am at a loss. thanks

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom