Dauntless Odd Fire V6 question

Dauntless Odd Fire V6 question

saludora

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
69 cj5, 1971 Dodge Charger Superbee
I have a 225 Dauntless Buick 225 V6 V6 in my jeep....it has a leaking head gasket and the valve guides are leaking. ..will cost about 814$ to have the heads redone and installed ...I found a guy who has a fresh build Dauntless Buick 225 V6 marine motor in his shop from a boat project that he gave up on....he wants 1k for the motor complete with wate pump manifold ect...my question is...i belive that for a complete rebuilt motor 1k is more than fair but are there going to be any issues with a marine motor swapping with my stock 225 oddfire...thank you in advance....fyi my motor has started blowing white exhaust out of the passenger side ....it is consistant and get worse under throttle...

As you know - white smoke (depending on how white) is either oil or steam, both of which aren't good. But, I'm sure you have seen many a vehicle driving down the road belching out smoke. Some can live with it and some can't. I fall in the latter category...

Now, can a marine engine be used in a land based vehicle. Most certainly! The cam grind may be a little off as most marine engines run at a higher throttle for a very long time. Also, most marine engines may have some interesting things done to the cooling system. Make sure you ask! Also, check the thermostat, oil pan and pickup.

And now for the weirdest thing that could be different. What was the intended application? Many marine engines rotate OPPOSITE from vehicle based engines. They may sit in the boat backwards! Some turn the same way. Just be very sure the engine doesn't have a reverse grind cam in it! If it does you have two options. Get a gear drive that rotates the cam backwards or change out the cam.

I had a friend that bought a big block out of a drag boat one time that completely missed that little fact! :)

I agree with CJ. You will most likely need a different water pump, oil pan, pick up, and flywheel. Exh. manifolds may or may not work. Int. manifold may be at an angle to keep the carb level in a boat and might not work well in a road application. Marine intakes are usually a high rise type of manifold to match the cam grind. If you were drag racing this Jeep the marine cam/manifold would serve you well but not ideal for DD street use. The price seems good but keep in mind it will require some parts swapping from the old engine.
BTW I am looking for a set of Jeep v-6 exhaust manifolds if you happen to not need them.

Make sure like said before that it is a right hand rotation and not a left

The exhaust manifolds wont work
The carb wont work since it is going to be the flame arrestor type its going to be taller than normal

The cam in it might not work being that marine engines usually turn at higher RPMs at lower rpms, all depends on what stall cam is in it.

The ignition system, starter should work for your aplication

well all the plugs were pulled and all were black soot and i belive i m burning oil....also i saw yellow phome looking stuff on oil cap so i think motor is going...ie headgasket and rings any advice will help ty in advance. i was told was normal facing marine motor ...not reverse drive and marine manifold and gaskets...i have a stock manifold...and waterpump should be ok too,... thx ALL who post

The cam in it might not work being that marine engines usually turn at higher RPMs at lower rpms, all depends on what stall cam is in it.
Wrong wording!

I was talking about how the reduction gear works!
Compared to a automotive aplication

Who did the rebuild?
How long has it been sitting?

well i found a buick 231 complete motor with 65k miles on it for 400$...i swapped the motors and it runs great...has hei electric choke and so on...btw the 225 oddfire was blowing oil out of the passenger rear exhaust port and into the muffler thus all the smoking...im going to throw the engine in the garage for now

It's great that you have your CJ driving like you want now! :banana:

I'm interested to see what the old 225 shows when you take it apart. You definitely don't want to get rid of it - they are great torque generators for that CJ.

Let us know what you find!

I have had several people want to "give me" 4-500 dollars for my "old" motor....ive dealt with older cars enough to know that i am prolly gonna "tuck" the 225 into the corner of the garage for later lol.....reminds me when i had a guy come up to me when i first got my Charger "SuperBee" and tell me he would give me "$3000" dollars for it...i laughed at the guy

I have a 225 Dauntless Buick 225 V6 V6 in my jeep....it has a leaking head gasket and the valve guides are leaking. ..will cost about 814$ to have the heads redone and installed ...I found a guy who has a fresh build Dauntless Buick 225 V6 marine motor in his shop from a boat project that he gave up on....he wants 1k for the motor complete with wate pump manifold ect...my question is...i belive that for a complete rebuilt motor 1k is more than fair but are there going to be any issues with a marine motor swapping with my stock 225 oddfire...thank you in advance....fyi my motor has started blowing white exhaust out of the passenger side ....it is consistant and get worse under throttle...

About 50% of marine engines I worked on were REVERSE ROTATION, meaning the engine, or camshaft, turned BACKWARDS of the direction you will want.

Make sure that engine IS NOT one of those!

If it turns 'Clockwise' with you standing in front of it looking at the balancer,
And it has a timing chain instead of a two gear drive set,
Then you will be fine with the swap.

hi seems that we have same problem my 67 jeepster 1/2 cab started blowing white smoke and steam from the right side.after inspecting it i found head cracked and valve guides worn out and cyl pressure was app 70-80 for each hole.the left side was 100 each hole valves were good.but spark plugs one was way to hot and the other were covered in oil fouled now i'm looking for a head for it

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom