De-smogging 84 CJ7

De-smogging 84 CJ7

lukerocco

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
84 CJ7
I just bought a project CJ7 and the motor is 80 percent rebuilt. I want to get rid of the smog and computer stuff, I also bought a new wiring harness kit. I want to strip this jeep down and start from scratch. Its a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l CID with a T-5 tranny, any websites that might walk you thru plugging all the vac lines and disconnecting all the :dung:? Thanks.

Are you from Bakersfield, CA? If you are, all of that smog stuff has to stay there if you're planning on registering it in Kalifornia.

I will be registering it in Montana which has no smog laws. Do you think it would be better or easier to put fuel injection system on the inline six or get a different carb and intake?

if you are intertaining the thought of fuel injection go for it :chug: you will have an all weather no fuss ride. It took me about 2 days to play around on my buddies YJ and get the Howell set up running and it runs great

It depends on what you're going to do with your CJ and how much money you want to spend. A brand new Offenhauser or Clifford intake manifold will run you $300 (ish) and a new carb will run you another $300 (ish). A Howell TBI is going to run your $1200 (ish). There are pro's and con's to both set-ups.

It's really up to you, what you want your CJ to do and how many greenbacks you have to spend thumbsup.png

I'm pretty much starting from scratch the motor was rebuilt and put in, nothiing is hooked up and it has all this smog :dung: on it. I want to remove the smog stuff and I am also rewiring the whole jeep. I would like to make it as simple as possible but have heard a lot of good things about the fuel injection if it is not to much harder to install then I would do that. Is it worth it to get it off another vehichle?

I have read about using the TBI system from a 4.3L Chevy V6. But I have no first hand knowledge, sorry.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom