Decluttering my 258

Decluttering my 258

curtscat

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ7, 258, T176, Dana 300, Dana 30, AMC 20.
1991 Mercury Cougar.
I would like to get rid of all unnecessary stuff on my engine. Were should I start? Can I remove the air pump and all that stuff?

Thanks.
Curt.

post up pics. we need to know what you are working with

Can I remove the air pump and all that stuff?
Legally? No, but I wont tell.
The air pump helps emissions. By letting air into the exhaust it helps the catalytic converter break down the chemicals in the exhaust fumes. Without the air pump you will have more emissions. I don't know about your state laws and emission testing but another side effect is your cat will clog up faster without an air pump. The catalytic converters from the '80s had the air run through a honeycomb grid. These cats would clog up and that will happen faster without an air pump.
I say the cat will clog up but actually it may take a couple years instead of decades for it to clog if you get rid of the air pump.

Last edited:
Legally? No, but I wont tell.
The air pump helps emissions. By letting air into the exhaust it helps the catalytic converter break down the chemicals in the exhaust fumes. Without the air pump you will have more emissions. I don't know about your state laws and emission testing but another side effect is your cat will clog up faster without an air pump. The catalytic converters from the '80s had the air run through a honeycomb grid. These cats would clog up and that will happen faster without an air pump.
I say the cat will clog up but actually it may take a couple years instead of decades for it to clog if you get rid of the air pump.

What happens if you don't have a cat? I just got my exhaust for my 4.0 stuff done and even though I specifically said i wanted a cat and a stock sounding muffler they didn't install the cat

What happens if you don't have a cat?
The jeep breaths better and people don't.

I once had an '82 CJ7 with an exhaust leak. I fixed the leak and because the cat was so clogged the jeep wouldn't even start. Then I performed a delicate procedure on the cat (with a pry bar and a large hammer). The Jeep ran better than ever.

Without a cat the engine will run very good but with higher emissions.

I stripped my AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l down to the bone. I put a Webber carb, Hei ignition and headers. I stripped 5 lbs of wires and about 15 lbs of hoses and :dung: and it runs ALOT better and I bet it's cleaner than its been in years. But you didn't hear that from me. :rolleyes:

Check your State laws before proceeding. Here in California, you may as well sell the Jeep if you start taking anything off, or tow it everywhere you go. It's a pain, but growing up in Los Angeles, I can appreciate the cleaner air. All the smog equipment is interrelated and the engine is made to run the best with everything attached. Everything you take off will affect something else so keep that in mind when you start. I hate the restrictions, but to be honest with you, I have all the California :dung: to make it legal and cleaner burning and I don't lack for power when I need it. I don't get worse mileage on the road and I don't have to look over my shoulder for the smog police because I tampered with it. Does it look better and make it easier to work on without it? Absolutely. Does it make a nickles worth of difference on the trail? Not unless you are a hard core mudder or you are in timed competitions where every horsepower counts. I would look to the law first and then personal preference if the laws don't apply.

Tommy

Thanks guys for your ideas. Up here in Gods country (Minnesota) we don't have emission testing. I was planning on eventually (when I had the cash) to put on a header, remove the cat, and free up the exhaust. ( I put headers, duals and larger pipes on my Cougar and upped my mileage 25%). The engine is all stock, 1980. My intentions for this Jeep are to use it as a daily driver for the winter while my Cat is safely put to bed for the winter. I would like to get as much gas mileage as possible.

On another note, does any one know anything about Overdrive units for this unit?

Thanks for any input.
Curt.

Thanks guys for your ideas. Up here in Gods country (Minnesota) we don't have emission testing. I was planning on eventually (when I had the cash) to put on a header, remove the cat, and free up the exhaust. ( I put headers, duals and larger pipes on my Cougar and upped my mileage 25%). The engine is all stock, 1980. My intentions for this Jeep are to use it as a daily driver for the winter while my Cat is safely put to bed for the winter. I would like to get as much gas mileage as possible.

On another note, does any one know anything about Overdrive units for this unit?

Thanks for any input.
Curt.

Do you mean Overdrive trannies??? if so, the T-5 , NV3550, ax15, and nsg370s (with the appropriate bellhousing) are bolton replacements to the engine (although I can speak from experience not as simple as they sound.

Also the AW4 is a compatible auto but I think its too long for use in cjs.. but I may be wrong.

I was thinking of the bolt on unit. I think it was made by Borg Warner.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom