Diesel Motors

Diesel Motors

scrambler

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 cj-8 258 4-speed bone stock
I've started looking at getting a diesel truck and doing the veggie oil secondary fuel tank. I've seen on Extreme 4x4 a Samurai they did the conversion and it dawned on my that a small diesel motor would be ideal for a Jeep crawler since they produce really high torq at low rpm's. Does any one have any experience or knowledge on first doing the engine swap to a diesel motor and second using swo or wvo as fuel? Anything would be helpful since I am considering doing this on multiple vehicles. Thanks jeepn crew :notworthy:

I have no experience doing it but I always thought a 4BT cummins would be awesome in a CJ. I have a buddy whose been running homemade bio in a 400,000 mile diesel Jetta for years and lovin' it. Keep us posted with what you get into.

That 4bt swap is pretty common in a jeep and there is tons of info on it on the net.
It's something I've often considered. Also the VW 1.6 - 1.9 engines are a good option.

cummins B4T is an excelent swap, as well as Perkins Diesel turbo 4cyl (used in tractors and skid stears). The VW diesles are best avoided! I've worked on way too many to even remoned one, if well maitained they can go for awhile, but most give never ending head aches.

Another off the wall idea, and possibly easier to find would be a mitso-fuso 4 banger, or even a nissan T133 from diesle scout.

Last edited:
My opinion on diesels...I have owned and own several. I have a diesel 1999 4x4 3/4ton 6.5 turbo diesel Suburban...it gets about 21-23mpg. Also have a Cummins 600 4x4 3500 dodge ram that has amazing power and gets decent mileage..around 18mpg.

I have built a couple of WVO (waste vegetable oil) systems one for my brothers 6.5 diesel dually, I have also built an apple-seed processor for biodiesel at home...the problem now is getting the oil for free.

Those small 4 cylinder Hino diesel engines are very reliable and can be re-sleeved...I am partial to the toyota diesels from the 80's as they run forever...
www.brevardbiodiesel.org/EV/ev.html

Good Luck with your project.

Just curious, have any of you guys wheeled a open top cj/yj/tj with a diesel ?

Im a diesel nut, Ive got 2 fords and a benz running on fuel oil, as well as other toys, and Ive wanted to put a diesel in a cj for many years, but the thought smelling the diesel while crawling or idling on a trail has been enough to keep me at bay.

Ive been trail riding, where we covered less than 5 miles in an 8 hour period,... Ive even got two new cats to put on my CJ when I swap motors, because Im way past wanting to smell the un-burned hydrocarbons. When I was a kid I didnt care, but Im too old for that :dung: anymore...

I think my diesels stink, does not matter what platform its in..I do mean that quite literally, not figuratively. I also think that a 4BT would be the "natural" swap for this application, but knowing how loud a "BT" is, I dont think Id want to listen to it either. Id would be looking for something a little more "quiet". I love how quiet my benz is, but for what the parts cost on that thing, I dont know If I would want to use one for a toy.. assuming you could get it mated to the Transmission you wanted to use.

Last edited:
Just curious, have any of you guys wheeled a open top cj/yj/tj with a diesel ?

Im a diesel nut, Ive got 2 fords and a benz running on fuel oil, as well as other toys, and Ive wanted to put a diesel in a cj for many years, but the thought smelling the diesel while crawling or idling on a trail has been enough to keep me at bay.

Ive been trail riding, where we covered less than 5 miles in an 8 hour period,... Ive even got two new cats to put on my CJ when I swap motors, because Im way past wanting to smell the un-burned hydrocarbons. When I was a kid I didnt care, but Im too old for that :dung: anymore...

I think my diesels stink, does not matter what platform its in..I do mean that quite literally, not figuratively. I also think that a 4BT would be the "natural" swap for this application, but knowing how loud a "BT" is, I dont think Id want to listen to it either. Id would be looking for something a little more "quiet". I love how quiet my benz is, but for what the parts cost on that thing, I dont know If I would want to use one for a toy.. assuming you could get it mated to the Transmission you wanted to use.

I would assume the 4bt is as loud as a older dodge ram with the 6bt, which would be a deal killer for me. Thats why i like the benz motor. But like you said the parts are expensive.

For me as little as i drive the CJ it makes no sense to convert i would loose the original engine cool factor.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom