Differential widths?? wide vs narrow

Differential widths?? wide vs narrow
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
96 ZJ, 78 CJ5, 96 Gr caravan, 93 ZJ
Does anyone know what the widths of a narrow track and wide track axle are?? How about a YJ axle?? I am putting together a Cj on a YJ frame and springs and was told there is a huge difference from the narrow track to the the YJ and the wide track is closer, but do not know the exact measurements. If some one knows them that would be a big help!! (the Cj and Yj aren't home yet or I'd measure those myself, just FYI) THANKS!:D

IIRC there is about a 3inch diffrence in where the front springs mount up,
But the rears are the same

Dont quote me exact on that but i think it was close the last time i measured

X2, without going into the books, I think the 3" diference is about right.

Thanks, but I am actually looking for the total width from where axle flange to flange (rear) and wheel hub to hub (front). The spring mounts are going to get moved on mine, as I am going spring over on it.

Are you using the cj's drivetrain?(motor,trans, transfer) If not, I believe the diffs are on the wrong side. I believe the wt axles are 54.5" wms to wms. The nt axles are 50.5". Don't know the spring perches. Mine are nt axles and the perches on mine are 27.5" c to c in fr. and 36" c to c in rear.

My dimensions are +- 1/2 " WMS. NT is 51" and WT are 55". Let me look up the YJ dimensions.

Cool thanks guys. I am running a 318, NP435 drivetrain, with a WT D30 in the front and the D35(i know, i know, but its free) in the back. My CJ has the NT axles (D30, Model 20) under it now, but I am getting a WT front 30 fro a friend swapping a 44 under his CJ.

After some research, I've decided against the D35 as its just going to be too wide for my set up. So I have a line on a WT 20 and an international 44. Have to measure the 44 yet and see if it will work and go from there.

--Does anyone know why the front axles are wider than the rear axles?? I know its important, but never knew why.

Cornering plain and simple. A man of my wit cant explain it in words. In order for your rear wheels to travel in the same consistency as the front the front needs a wider trac to make up for the scrub of the rear wheel output. :D What a load of :dung:. Im buzzed tonite. Sorry

makes sence Pete. So I need to find a wide track rear axle to match my front or swap in 44's front and rear(which I do not have the money for at this time). Got it!!

A YJ front axle should be 59", rear D44 58".
A ScoutII D44 is 63".
FYI The ScoutII D44 is not a straight swap, not hard but not a bolt on affair either. ScoutII D44's had zero degree caster when the pinion is level. To get the 5-7* caster that a Jeep has the pinion will point down by the same amount. So the inside "C's" need to be cut and rotated on the axle tubes to achieve the desired pinion/caster angle. Also the spring width is different and must be narrowed or the springs out boarded. Narrowing requires some grinding or milling of the cast iron housing.

I guess in a nutshell or as a rule of thumb going from NT, WT, YJ, ScoutII, Full Size, Super Duty the axles keep getting wider by about 4" each step.

Still working out all the details on what axles I am going to run. Got the YJ home and its definately a sweet deal!! The springs and frame are wider than the CJ, so the narrow track axles aren't going to work very well, the wide track axles are 3" narrower than the YJ axles, so they might and might not work. I do have a line on a Scout rear 44 and a Waggy front 44 so might go that route, both are owned by friends , so hopfully I can pick them up for a good price!!

magnum
I don't know how wide you want to go or if you want to stay narrow. I am helping a friend do a full width axle swap on a YJ using 78-79 Ford snow fighter Dana 60 axles. These axles have roughly the same spring pad width as a YJ +- 1/2", close enough where they will just bolt up. But the WMS dimension is quite wide. IIRC the front is 69", rear is 67".

Last edited:
I did Blue Torch Fab full width bumper conversion shackle flip. Then I put high steer arms on. Now it tracks sweet. I used Chevy CUCV front end & a Dodge M880 rear.

Don't want to go much wider than 60"-63" at this point. I need to keep the tires under the fenders and flares to be legal here in Pa. I am also trying to work with what I can get for very cheap, free, or bartering at this time. Money has gotten super tight lately and the free or barter mode is my only options at this time. I can get the scout 44 for barter and not sure on the waggy 44 yet, haven't heard back from the guy who has it--probably not a good sign. May have to wait and see what turns up over summer and how cash flow pans out then too.

I did the 78'Scout2 axles under an '88 Wrangler. It works pretty well. You'll have to cut off the knuckles & reset the caster to make her track right.

Stupid question, How did the scout get away with running 0 degrees caster and still drive correctly if the Jeeps need to run 5-7 negative?? Also JP magazine just had an article about death wobble and said that one thing to try is to go more positive on the caster, does this make any sence??

The Scout sits lower. On the Jeep with any lift the pinion sits to low. I had to change the pinion angle so much. The Jeep wouldn't return to center.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks