distributor oil leak

distributor oil leak

ppd1107

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ-7 258
I have a 78 Jeep with AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . I have a major oil leak that appears to be coming from the base of the distributor, where it fits into the engine block. Any ideas about stopping this. Is there a gasket that is bad or missing there?

a quick fix is to loosen the bolt securing the distributor and lift it out slightly and the wipe all oil away from the mating surfaces. Then use a heat resistant silicone and apply a small amount to the mating surfaces, drop the distributor into place, secure the bolts and wait several hours and then start.

there is a gasket. If you find it necessary to make one , the paper is very very thin as not to change the gear contact.
you are not loosing a lot are you? If you are you may have a torn gasket or a large chunk of it missing.:cool:

I am loosing a lot of oil. Is the gasket available or is it only availalble with a new distributor?

don't know, never bought one. I just know there is supposed to be one there.:cool:

Just curious about the silicone fix. After the silicone seals how are you going to adjust the timing without turning the distributer. just a thought.

you can go to the parts store and buy a gasket. if you need to i work at advance auto and i can get a part # for you if you need it.

Napa 79 cents:chug:

O Reillys is a buck something. I do think it is a bit strange that you are loosing a lot of oil here. I definitely need a new gasket and I am not loosing any. :cool:

Update. I took the distributor off, replaced the gasket and oil leak was found to be coming from the top end of the distributor. Replaced the distrubutor and now it has oil coming from the top. I don't know.

when you say top, as in into the cap?? This is starting to sound interesting, the distributer drives the oil pump and I can't see any way for the oil to splash that high with out pressure behind it. maybe a problem with a cam bearing?
Better yet, check your PCV valve, with enough crank case pressure it could blow out through the distributer.
I had a collapsed PCV hose that caused the valve cover to start to leak.:(

Ok, I located a pcv problem which may be the issue. I will be able to tell after I run the rig for awhile. Thanks

I have replaced the gasket on my 83 CJ7 twice now and I can't get the oil to stop leaking from around the base of the distributor. I just don't get it. Anybody got any ideas

After I got my PCV problem taken care of all the leaking stopped. That was after a new/rebuilt distributor.

At least you know your dizzy gear is getting oiled :D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom