Daniel1381

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 cj 5
3 speed
inline 6 258
everything stock
just wondering if yall change your own tranny oil and diff oil?? shop around here wants 335.00 to change em out

WTF:eek: Yes its time for you to learn how to if you dont already know how :chug: Yes I change all of my own fluids Also its not hard at all just a few bolts and some RTV, grab you a Haynes manual and go to town on it

I do my own. Take the diff cover off to drain the rear end. Either a new gasket or the "Right Stuff" will seal the cover again and refill until it reaches the threads on the filler plug. Transmission should have a drain plug to empty it. Refill it the same as the rear end. Check for the lube specifications for both. Limited slip diffs require different gear oil. Manual Transmissions are usually all the same. If I missed anything I am sure others will chime in. If you can't get to the drain plug or differential cover because of skid plates, it could be a little bit of a job, but if you've got the time it's not difficult to do and will save you all but the cost of the oil and gasket.

Tommy

Tommy

Deff change own (especially for that price??? What were they putting in for fluid liquid gold??)

Just make sure you find the right fill holes. On my Dana 20 Transfer Case , there were two, and one was too low...

If you have FSM they'll tell you the recommended types of fluid to put back in each etc.

(or others will on here maybe... )

Alldata says it's .7 hours per diff. I can't find labor for the m/t, or Transfer Case , but i believe it to be .5 each.
That comes to 2.4 hours @ 94.5 an hour.
Labor rates vary tremendously across the country.
80/90wt gear oil sells for about 3.25 a qt.
Alldata doesn't go far enough back to verify exactly what fluid to use, so check that.

So, in our shop you'd be spending about 280.00 or so taxed, out the door.

Tommy,& Gert are spot on.

Go for it, & you'll be glad you did.:chug:

Last edited:
I've done it and it isn't hard. That being said, I think your service quote was way too high. Shop around.

just wondering if yall change your own tranny oil and diff oil?? shop around here wants 335.00 to change em out

Yes I change my own, at least once a year, more often if I run through deep water. It's an easy job.
For $335.00 I'd do it for a living. Your only have maybe $50 in parts and oil.

Yep, change em myself.

BTW - I just called a good local shop and he said AMC 150 - 175 for all. Change oil and filte, remove both diff covers, drain, clean, reseal and refill.

being on the ground pumping gear lube in the belly of a jeep is just part of the trip. :cool:

That's the most basic reason this forum exists, at least in my mind. We help each other with Jeep CJ mantainance from as basic as how to do a fluid change to the more advanced repairs and we always try do do it ourselves(with help as needed).

so what oil do you guys buy for the diff and tranny...i saw lucas oil for the diff thought about buying it.. gonna tackle all this on sunday!

I run valvoline 90w in my diffs.
I have a Dana 300 Transfer Case though, and I believe you have a Dana 20 . IIRC you will want the GL-4 rated grar oil for your Transmission and transfer. Someone with an older cj will chime in if I'm wrong.

as you are parting with the hard earned cash, keep in mind that if you decide you want to go amphibious, you get to do this all over again. spend accordingly.:cool:

Yep, change em myself.

BTW - I just called a good local shop and he said AMC 150 - 175 for all. Change oil and filte, remove both diff covers, drain, clean, reseal and refill.

If it really needed to be done and I didn't have time, $AMC 150 might be okay if I new they were going to do a good job.

For $335, I would deffinately make time to do it myself.

In leiu of starting a new thread on this subject, Advance Auto only sold me the rear diff gasket and they had no part number for the front. Its the first and only place I've looked (been to Autozone, O'rielly, and Pep boys - Autozone asked me 'who makes a CJ7 ?' . . .)

I've heard that using Blue RTV is an acceptable alternative but better to add some to the cover, place gasket on RTV to hold in place as I get the first 2 screws into the Diff body.

What's the plan here? Gasket or no Gasket? RTV only or RTV with gasket?

You can use RVT - make a bead on the cover, let it setup for a bit and then put the cover on. Don't over tighten.

I look on Advanced, Oriellys, Napa, and Auto zone - they all were wrong (well Napa gave a choice and Advanced showed the Dana 20 gasket for the front and rear).

I usually use Morris 4x4 and order a few of the gaskets at a time. Keeping a few handy has saved me from the trouble of finding them local.

Dude, stop and think for a minute. Do you have to pull the covers? If they aren't leaking then leave them alone.

Go to Walmart and buy an outboard lube pump ($9.50). Pull the plugs and pump the old stuff out. Its a little time consuming but well worth it, neater, and you don't have to break a good seal on the diff. covers. Then turn the pump around and put the new lube in until it comes out the hole and you're done.

Good luck bud.

Call me anal but I always pull my covers. Mainly because I spend a lot of time in the water. I prefer to inspect the gears each time I change the fluid... :)

Yep. But that is a good reason. I just can't sit by and watch someone get scammed ($300!?) or create extra work, especially when its obvious that doing something new like replacing gear lube might present enough of a challenge.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom