"Dowel" me in.

"Dowel" me in.

buzzardsroost

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1973 CJ-6, 2000 F-350 dually.
I'm replacing my timing cover and according to the repair manual, I need a dowel in the lower right hand corner. Well. I don't have one and never did. If I would have known this jeep was missing that part, I might not have even bought it. Buyer beware!!!!

Anyway, I have searched the forum and although the timing cover itself is mentioned alot, I could not find one reference to this problem I have with the missing dowel. Is this dowel wooden, metal, made out of cheese or something alien? Since my engine, AMC 304 , didn't have one maybe, just maybe, it doesn't need one?? ........Well I'm sure nothing is that easy, where would one find a dowel or could I use an appropiate size rear of a drill bit, for example, to align the cover and then pull it out once the tightening procedure is done? Good idea, or not?

Hope everyone is having a great Saturday, Rick

I have seen that before, the dowel was sheered off and it was almost impossible to see where it was supposed to be.

It's really not a huge deal. When you go to install the cover, try and center the cover (by wiggling it back and forth) on the bolts. Basically, install all the bolts but leave them loose. Then adjust the cover so it clears all the bolts freely. Then tighten them up without moving the cover.

The dowels are there to set the cover in the correct positions so the distributer gear and the cam gear have the correct meshing... :)

Install the dist. and manually move (wiggle) the rotor shaft back and forth, you should feel a very small amount of backlash...

If the dowel is not broken off and the hole is still there, just replace the dowel with a new one. If broken off see CJ's advice above.

If the dowel is not broken off and the hole is still there, just replace the dowel with a new one. If broken off see CJ's advice above.
Never even thought about asking if there was even a hole there! I figured not because of the 'drill bit' reference... Thanks OD! :)

it doesn't need to be a drill bit or anything hardened, just a piece of cold rolled from the hardware store. It will be of a very specific size, steel and fit into a blind hole in the timing case. It's purpose is to make it easier to align the cover, I think there is a seal in that cover that will need to be lined up dead solid perfect or it will leak in a few miles, and you get to do it again. I am just thinking out loud, I don't even know what motor you are working with but that is generally the reason for dowel pins. If you can find where it is/was I would recommend that you use it .

You all really need to reread the OP post...

He has a AMC 304 (he did state the CI of the engine) that he does not have a right lower dowel pin for his timing cover. It either missing or was sheered of so that there is no indication that it ever exited... :)

Look at my post -->> http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/dowel-me-2538/#post20597 and make a decision buzzardsroost

Guys - not trying to be a jerk about this but - his first post give one hell of a lot of info... :)

your right it did.
just as soon as I finish putting my dash back together I am going into my room and perform ritual suicide.
I promise to read everything twice from now on.:notworthy:

Well I don't think there is any reason to go into a room and perform anything RITUAL but I am 60 and been out of touch for awhile. haha

I measured the hole in the block and it was 5/16 which corresponded with the 5/16 hole in the new timing cover. Even I can figure that out and say I'm missing the dowel. What I intend to do is use a 5/16 something to assist me in lining up the cover and then tighten the heck out of it. Not really, tighten it to specs. I will then just remove the dowel (if I can) and go on. Thanks for all the interest and I'm 100% sure "I'll be back" for more....

My local hardware store has .3125 steel dowels. You should be able to find them just about anywhere. You should leave them in the block and not take them out once you install them.

very interesting and non-productive day. (sort of)

I went out to the garage to put on the new timing cover and water pump today. (and dowel). It didn't go very well and I'll explain why to those who wish to hear it.

When I bought the jeep a couple of months ago, the PO couldn't run the engine for me very long because the water pump shaft was really bad and flopping all around. We even had to remove the fan so as not to damage the radiator. I thought then I've never seen a water pump in that bad of shape. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago and after I bought a new pump. I finally after working on the frame was ready to button up the engine and get it back on the frame. I installed the water pump but it wouldn't turn. Off with the pump and the timing cover was bulged out keeping the pump from turning. Order a new timing cover. A week or so ago, I removed the cover and found someone had smeared epoxy on the inside of the bulge on the cover. What the hey? Oh well it must have cracked or something, I thought.
I have a new one so who cares. This morning I walk out to the garage to installed the new timing cover and new water pump along with the associated DOWEL. Get everything together and the timing cover won't seat against the block fully. Damn... I get a flashlight and mirror out and it looks like the bolt on the camshaft is hitting the inside of the timing cover. I pull everything back off and the camshaft has a 3/16 think large washer, a lock washer and then the bolt. In my service manual it only mentions a washer and bolt. (one) I think the lock washer doesn't belong and am asking if anyone remembers. I now know why the original water pump was so bad and why the original timing cover was pushed out.

So that was my day having fun in the garage. And I missed my Steelers playing....darn.

I don't suppose the thought "what a dumb <-BAD WORD->" ever crossed your mind??
:biggun:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom