drive shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello buechecj7 and welcome to the site! :chug:

One of the things we preach here is safety - sorry but that doesn't sound very safe to me. :(

Is this some sort of mud bog only CJ? Not used on the street?

i have a CJ7 with about 13 inches of total lift i have schedule 80 pipe to extend the drive shafts opinions??????

WOW 13 inches of lift to play in the sand. I don't meen to put your jeep down, but that sounds like it's going to be real unstable in the sand.
I've seen stock height jeeps roll down jeep hill, up there in Silver Lake.
Now if your run'n HumVee axles that would be Bad <-BAD WORD->. :D

Last edited:
WELL IT WASNT SUPPOSED TO BE THAT HIGH I FLIPPED THE AXLES BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO AND GO OUTA HAND:D

IM PUTTIN LOWER SPRINGS ON IT BUT WONT BE DONE FOR MEMORIAL DAY AT SILVER:chug:

just for sand dunes :chug:
You have sand dunes in Silver Lake? I checked them out and they look great! :)

Will the Schd 80 tubing work? Maybe - as long as it's not PVC. Schedule 80 is 2 ". How will you adapt the size differences? How will you balance it?

Would I want to use it? No, DOM is what you need for drive shafts.

Now on to the 13.5 lift. How was it lifted?

How were the drive line angles setup up?

Throw us a friken bone here and give us as much information as you can, twenty questions takes forever! :) :chug:

Pictures, specs, what you have, what you need, pics, pics, pics... :)

The reason we ask for pics is that we can see things you cannot describe...

Thanks,

Well the axles are rotated so that the pinion angle is not that bad at the axle.

I have 6 inch lift springs and did the axle flip that was around 7 inches

the schd 80 i have one is 2inch id which will not quite slip over the rear so i will have to do some work on the lathe and on the front the drive shaft is 1 inch od so i got 1 inch id pipe and will have to do a lil work there as well!!!!

This is just food for thought, but my CJ had a modified driveshaft when I bought it. The PO had installed a CV joint on the rear shaft to help with vibrations from the 6" lift.
Hang with me here...The driveshaft gave out on takeoff in a Mud Fast track race (darn 5000 RPM and drop-the-clutch launch anyhow :))
Here is what it looked like after finishing the race...
muddrags008.png
As you can see, it didn't hold very well.
So I went to a specialty driveshaft shop and asked the experts what to do.
He recommended that I use DOM tube to rebuild the shaft, using the old parts (to save some green).
SO away I went to the machine shop...Here is what he came up with...
CjDriveshaft004.png
you can see the shaft in the upper part of the pic. it is either 5/8" or 3/4" (I can't remember now, Old Timer's kicking in...) DOM tube. It went back to the driveshaft shop and put back together and balanced. Its 19" long, weighs about 50 lbs, and is virtually indestructible (the shaft anyways).
Now I can't tell you the difference in strengths between DOM and poop pipe, but I bet CJ can (he is almost a rocket scientist, really!), but I will bet its a bunch.
What I'm trying to get at in a very long-winded post is this: If the experts recommend this kind of strength for a little Mud-Boggin' CJ like mine (compared to yours anyways), don't ya think that its worth the extra time and $$ to do it right, instead of making do with the scrap you have laying around the house?
You really don't want to drop a driveshaft (or worse:oops:) with all your :chug: friends (Yea, I saw your 18 years old) looking on, do ya?

Last edited:
Let me understand this. You have a jeep that had 6 inches of lift and you are wheeling in sand where most people run low jeeps. Then you did an axle swap which actually nets about another 5 inches, to go on sand. Now you want to use pipe that is design only for pressure applications and was never intended for twisting force.

I don't understand your logic at allunless you just want to be the biggest jeep around your town which is fine but the pipe has to go. You need tubing. Dom tubing has a completely different manufacturing process and can handle the twisting forces of a driveshaft. Pipe WILL self destruct and could hurt you, your jeep or somebody else. Don't do it. Get the right material. I think your jeep is destined to be a superball bouncing down the side of a sand hill but i am just an opinion. Do what you want with your lift but at least do the shafts properly.

Ya you guys r rite but i did it any ways I dis a couple 5000 launches tonight on pavement and she held ;)
(5000 / 24) = 524 test per hour over a full day. Over a few hours - not possible.

Please start a new thread if you have other questions - we want to help.

Regards,

CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom