drive shaft

drive shaft
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 cj5 258 i6 t150 trans dana 20 case amc 20 dif full locker solid axels dana 30 dif up front all rebilt geared @ 4/10 4 inch lift from tuff countrey 1.5 lift schackels
stupid and lazy question ? i have a 4" lift and stock drive shafts, I want to know if i haft to extend the rear shaft, or is the stock one ok to run , or maybe lower the Transmission -Transfer Case :dunno: what would be the best call as. allways thanks for the help

Every jeeps gona be different but I have a 4" lift and still run the stock shaft (no TC drop). At full axle droop my shaft is FULLY extened. I'll get one 1" longer when the time comes but it works for now.

my custom rebuilt driveshaft has a 19" shaft.
With the specs on my CJ, (see over there <<<) it is exactly on the mark, if not a 1/2" or so too long. I had to have my bride measure it for me, since I was on a trip at the time it was being built. She measured it to the pinion nuts, not the U-joint cups. It was a tight squeeze getting it in there, but I have never had it come apart, even on full flex rides.
So I'd say your OK, as long as you don't need to flex it out on every trip.
Brake lines, however, are another matter.

EDIT: I forgot I have a CV joint in the back, so never mind the length comments...:laugh: damn Old-Timer's hitting me again!

I think that if you raise the back of your jeep by the bumper with a high lift jack until the springs and tire are fully extended, off the ground, you should be able to check and see if your drive shaft is long enough. There should not be any slop where the shaft comes together. Make sure you do this in a safe manner. Lowering the Transfer Case is more for drive line angle than for length although it does help on the length to. If you find you need longer drive shafts, ask the shop doing the work how they want the length measured. Some do cup to cup and some do nut to nut. I just had mine done and it was cup to cup. CV joints help with the angle but only if you have enough length in the shaft to accommodate them. Hope this helps some. Keep us posted.

Tommy

Every jeeps gona be different but I have a 4" lift and still run the stock shaft (no TC drop). At full axle droop my shaft is FULLY extened. I'll get one 1" longer when the time comes but it works for now.
same here, you should be ok as long as you don't notice any vibrations while you are driving.

sounds grate ill let everone know thanks

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom