Driveshaft problems

Driveshaft problems

xtrema2

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79 cj7
I just got this jeep knowin it needed work. The previous owner put a 350 chevy and 350 turbo tranny in it.. The problem he was having was that it kept braking u-joints or driveshaft on the rear. It has a 10 bolt chevy rear diff. I suspect it has to do with the angle of the diff to the tailshaft, or lack of slip yoke but i dont know. Thanks for your help, I know nothing about jeeps but getting ready to learn the hard way. Its a 79 CJ7

In this case I think some pic's of the rear driveshaft and supension would help us alot. ;)

That would be the first thing to look at. It should have a slip yoke, but may need pinion raised and a cv u- joint.

Where do i ifnd these parts. Sorry but I dont know anything about jeeps.

The rear drive shaft runs from the back side of the Transfer Case down to the pinon of the rear differential. The slip yoke will be in the middle of the drive shaft. There will be two u-joints one at the Transfer Case and one at the differential. Check the u-joints for play. If there is no movement then they are ok. Check with wheels blocked and in neutral ( so there is no pressure on drive shaft). With an angle finder on the drive shaft let us know what the angle is.

I'm sorry, I mean where can I buy them? I'm a heavy equipment mechanic so I know what the parts are just dont know where to buy them. Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry I miss understood! If complete shafts need replaced Tom Woods does a good job. Parts, you might try a local driveshaft shop.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom