Driveshaft U-Joint failure

JR74CJ5

Missing-Presumed Wheeling
Lifetime Supporter
Media
Resources
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5 ~ Fresh built AMC 360 - SM420 - D20 - D30F with upgraded 30 spline shafts and knuckles & D44R - 4.27 Gears - ARB Lockers F/R - All chrome molly axles - on 33's - YJ 4" Lift Spring Conversion
What a weekend... :cool:

Got up past Placerville, almost Fresh Pond, on the way to rubicon trail for 1st time:rolleyes:... and my jeep went BOOOOM :eek:

Then Bang Bang BANG until I stopped on the side of the freeway. Yup Broke the rear TC U-Joint, Driveshaft fell down from TC on freeway doing 65mph, beat a hole in my storage box bottom, ripped rear fuel line in half (of course it was still full...) leaking gas everywhere with a cherry hot drive shaft laying in the pool of gas... :eek:

Rest of story will be in the trip / trail report section, will post link below...

Question is: Going to have to get a new slip yoke at the least, if not full driveshaft replacement.

Been looking at Denny's Dennys Driveshaft Jeep driveshafts and driveline parts for your CJ5 CJ7 Wrangler Cherokee Commando J-10 J-20 Wagoneer

Choice between:
Dennys Driveshafts > Jeep > Driveshaft Slip Yokes

or... :drool:

Jeep Driveshafts

Money's not a huge obstacle, mainly timeline, but wondering what I should do... Plan on a small lift eventually, never measured my angles yet on drive shaft now, though there's not much current lift (about 1" - 1.5" shackle only :( current, plan on 2.5 spring lift in future, and stock height HD grease able shackles ) Don't think I "NEED" a double Cardian CV shaft, but... :drool::rolleyes:

What do you guys think / suggest? :notworthy:

If getting a new slip yoke only, i should have the drive shaft balanced yes?

:chug:

~ JR

Attachments

• Driveshaft Boom.JPG
    Driveshaft Boom.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 331
Sounds like you were lucky that the driveshaft didn't dig into the road and catapult you in the air. :eek:
If the splines are still good on your shaft I would just buy the slip yoke.
Getting it balanced is always a good idea IMO.
With a 2 1/2" lift I wouldn't think you would need a cv shaft, but I'm use to a 7 so I'm sure a 5 guy will tell me if I'm wrong.

Sounds like you were lucky that the driveshaft didn't dig into the road and catapult you in the air. :eek:

I know right??? :banana:

Getting it balanced is always a good idea IMO.

Where would one get a driveline balanced? 4x4 shop? Machine shop? etc...

With a 2 1/2" lift I wouldn't think you would need a cv shaft, but I'm use to a 7 so I'm sure a 5 guy will tell me if I'm wrong.

Don't think so either, but I need to check my geometry... (though, still shouldn't use one to correct another problem that needs fixing...) The PO had a Transmission drop installed, which not understanding why he had it there, i left out upon re installation of my Transmission ... I have a post that has the links to the Tom Woods, and another great info surplus site re: the geometry and angles of drivlines etc. Need to bunker down and do some reading tonight, and check my rig out tomorrow... Will post some pics up tomorrow of the "rigged" fix that got me home :cool:

~ JR

Theres a couple shops that make driveshafts around here that will balance them. I'd ask around I'm sure theres a driveshaft shop around you somewhere. (maybe)

So i should also mention the reason the u joint failed was due to it being dry... :bang: which is wierd since i know i greased it... A month or two ago... :confused: guy says could have been pluged and not greased fully and heat wore out rest? Or something of the sort... Or i just plain forgot that one...

Eitherway, grease your u joints and replace them every now and again :cool: side of the freeway driveline removal / gas line pluging sucks!

So found a shop in West Sac. Has the slip yoke I need, and of course the u joints.

Getting it balanced and u joints put in driveline too.

Going to cost me grand total of around $AMC 150 .00, not bad concidering I was about to pay that + 60 bucks shipping to get all the stuff here quick enough for next weekends trip... and still have to find a place to balance it...

Looking brighter! :chug:

~ JR

Sometimes it pays to shop localy.:)

Any good driveshaft shop should be able to balance it.

Didnt even know til today that there were so many driveshaft / driveline specialty shops... :chug:

I have had a lot of U Joints go bad on me. Especially back in Minnesota. I used to get into a lot of mud and water. Then I noticed the reason the U-Joints failed is they weren't lubricated enough. Either that or the needle bearings were failing and grinding well before the u-joint would fail. I now believe a stock u-joint will almost never fail out of the blue. I think a stock u-joint that is well lubricated with good needle bearings can handle several hundred horsepower. Far more than a stock CJ. They fail when I am not good enough about checking and double-checking that there isn't free play to the u-joint. Or when I don't lubricate them properly and often enough. I am now very careful to make sure grease is making it into each u-joint cap.

I am now very careful to make sure grease is making it into each u-joint cap.

Good point, make sure you see fresh greese comming out of all four caps.

:notworthy::notworthy:

Yeah... I oopsed... I know better than that... Need to look everything over really good before going out of town from now on. I usually use Marine grease to ensure "if" i go through some water, it should be good for until i get home...

Going down to get all my parts today for the driveshaft... Normally it takes a $$ lesson for me to "remember" stuff... :cool:

I really need to check my geometry under there... Almost looks as if the TC output shaft yoke is pointing ever so slightly upward... :confused::confused: I think thats why the PO had a Transmission drop in, but not sure WHY :confused::confused: (as in why it would be needed??)

hmmm... Going to have to look at some more stuff, really dont want to loose another driveshaft on the freeway :eek:

That's too bad jr, we were up there the first week in august and about 2 miles in I mangled my clutch linkage. Had to use the starter to get back out. I found a guy in wentworth springs that ordered the part,over nighted it and delivered it to union valley, about 35 miles of back road, for $10 more then I could get it myself for. This is what should be in magazines, not trucks running over picnic tables...... See the new "dirt kings" magazine. There is so many great people in off roading.

Good luck with the repairs. I would call 4 wheel parts in sac and ask them for a referral for the driveshaft balance. Most drivetrain shops can do it.

Jake

I agree. The magazines make it easy to overlook all us "good folk" who enjoy the scenery & challenge of a rocky MARKED trail to test our driving abilities and see sights you don't see in a city. :rolleyes: And like you said, I've met a whole lot more awesome people who love 4 wheelin than 1/2 the people who were in my high school class. :cool:

I for one can't wait to see all the sights in person I've heard my grandfather tell stories about since I was a kid / seen on facebook / u tube / etc, like over-looking Loon Lk from the trail or Cadilac hill etc.:drool:

People see lifted rigs breaking down and going over large rocks and think those idiots 4x4's are all basically graffiti-ing environmentally damaging :censored:ers, never understanding the actual majorities drive to keep / recreate a good image for us 4x4ers... What people don't understand they still feel they can judge... Then there's the knuckleheads that make the bad wrap... Hey I got nothing against a guy that wants to buy a picnic table, put it in his back yard and run over it a few times with his lifted beast :cool:, just quit doing it in public parks / campgrounds... :D

Anyways, i got off on a rant... I did find a good source in West Sac for the balancing and parts. I should have good news by this afternoon after work. :cool:

That blows about the linkage... What are your plans? I know you fixed it already with the part, but any thoughts of an upgrade?
:chug: We'll have to take a run one day man!

~ JR

I usually use Marine grease to ensure "if" i go through some water, it should be good for until i get home...
I used to use marine grease for all the zerk fittings when I lived in Minnesota. The best four wheeling was always in the mud back there. They say you should always re-grease after each water or mud run. That turned out to be almost each four wheel trip. Even though you'd think all grease was waterproof the marine grease really is much better if you take your jeep in the mud or water much.
I don't use the marine grease any more but then again I don't go into the water and mud as much as I used to.

I use it (marine grease) in the wheel bearings too... I don't ever plan on going through water / mud yet, but it seemed like it didn't hurt to use it... Just in case :cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom