Ecu/ecm help!!!

Ecu/ecm help!!!

jeepnmomma

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7 Laredo
My CJ7 engine was swapped (before I bought it) for a 1992 (cherokee) 4.0 liter High output Inline 6. Getting all the wiring redone(long story) and NOW its down to the end and it won't fire off it cranks over though. SO we're thinking its the ECM like a wire is either not connected or isn't suppose to be connected anywho. looking at the ecm it has a date of 1994. Need to find out the color code for the wires? And I have been reseaching and can't find anything!!! Can anybody help or lead me in the right direction??? PRETTY PLEASE!?!?!! :notworthy:

That's a tough one. Might be able to find a diagram later tonight, I'll look...

WEll I "think" I might of found the right wiring color codes. (autozone.com).
(tried the cjoffroad.com forum..they must not like me there (no one answers)

Could the IOD fuse be messing with all the new wiring (even though the new wiring isn't even using the distribution box?)
my brain hurts!:drool:

while I don't know the answer to this, and hate to take you to a different site, there is a lot of info on swapping to a 4L on this site CJOffroad.com - For CJ Owners by CJ Owners! hope it helps.:)

WEll I "think" I might of found the right wiring color codes. (autozone.com).
(tried the cjoffroad.com forum..they must not like me there (no one answers)

Could the IOD fuse be messing with all the new wiring (even though the new wiring isn't even using the distribution box?)
my brain hurts!:drool:
I'm all over linking to other sites if it helps a fellow CJer out... Sometime that is exactly what we have to do... :)

Now, the IOD fuse is basically the fuse that keeps power going to all you electrical items that need power when the ignition is of, like radio memory, clock, security systems and even the dome light when the door is opened. I'm not sure what you mean by could it 'be messing with the new wiring'...

It just sounds like you have missed a connection (or two) some where and now you have to track it down...

Is the fuel pump switching on then off when you turn the key? Did you pull a spark plug and check for spark when you turn over the engine? Will it start with starting fluid?

Have you checked ALL the basics?

all fixed!! :) from the diagrams it showed that 2 wires needed to be hot and only 1 was! SO figured out which one and where it needed to go and my jeep started like it was wanting to its whole life!!!!!!!! woohoo :)

Very glad you now have it operational!!! It's great to having that CJ going again! :)

Very glad you now have it operational!!! It's great to having that CJ going again! :)

Thank you! :)

Yes it is great! My CJ was abused before I bought it!!! After tearing off tons of wires that didn't go to anything, found out that ALOT of the wires that were attached were fire hazards waiting to happen! So all the wiring has been redone and things that didn't work like any interior lights on the dash (according to the previous owner were broken) work great now! And now I have a whole forum of people for other issues that might come up!! :D

~~~Yes it is great! ~~And now I have a whole forum of people for other issues that might come up!!
Exactly! We are and will be here to help as much as we can... Even if it means directing you to another location (we will do what ever it takes to get you going)...

Thanks for being part of our site! :)

Just wanted to re-up this post and ask a question.....

I have an 83 CJ7 . I'm going to do the 4.0 head swap. Do I really need the ECM? If so, do I need one off a 4.0?

Thanks
Todd

if your going factory fuel you will, if your going carb you dont or you can go after market efi as well. Many choices to choose from on the fuel source:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks