Electric choke not resetting

Electric choke not resetting

nctom

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
77 CJ 7, 258 i6, 3 speed
Hi, thanks to all of you who helped with my YF rebuild last weekend, the thing is running like a dream!

The only problem left is the electric choke. This morning, I took off the air cleaner so I could observe it's behavior. Cold engine, choke wide open after sitting overnight.

I pushed the pedal to the floor (by hand with the throttle linkage) but the choke plate did not snap shut. I clicked it shut by hand then started it up. It started on the first try no problem.

I watched the choke without touching the gas and it slowly opened and worked its way down the fast idle cam notches. It only took 2 or 3 minutes to fully warm up, which seemed fast, but it has not been cold overnight lately.

So, that's the behavior. The electric choke take off seems to be working fine.

What do I need to adjust to make the butterfly snap shut when I first hit the gas pedal?

Thanks!

It's electric, it responds to the oil temperature. It has voltage when it is cold and none when it is warm. Untill you turn the key on it has no power and therefor will not close. Is it opening all the way when it is warm??

Hi, thanks to all of you who helped with my YF rebuild last weekend, the thing is running like a dream!

The only problem left is the electric choke. This morning, I took off the air cleaner so I could observe it's behavior. Cold engine, choke wide open after sitting overnight.

I pushed the pedal to the floor (by hand with the throttle linkage) but the choke plate did not snap shut. I clicked it shut by hand then started it up. It started on the first try no problem.

I watched the choke without touching the gas and it slowly opened and worked its way down the fast idle cam notches. It only took 2 or 3 minutes to fully warm up, which seemed fast, but it has not been cold overnight lately.

So, that's the behavior. The electric choke take off seems to be working fine.

What do I need to adjust to make the butterfly snap shut when I first hit the gas pedal?

Thanks!

Yep, it opens all the way after warming up.
So, tomorrow morning, I will turn the key on, stop on the pedal and see what it does. Sound right? I verified 6v at the choke power lead.

I set the choke spring to add more tension. It seems like the choke plate iis sticking in the open position. Would it be smart to take the choke apart and try to find where it binds? I have to give it a little tug to snap it closed by hand.

Thanks all!

I would be looking for the catch point. Is the choke plate centered ? is it catching the wall of the carb??
:cool:

I set the choke spring to add more tension. It seems like the choke plate iis sticking in the open position. Would it be smart to take the choke apart and try to find where it binds? I have to give it a little tug to snap it closed by hand.

Thanks all!

Have you adjusted the choke cap? The cap turns and adjusts the choke to lean or rich. The coil in the cap actually engages and catches the arm, that comes out of the baffle plate. When you adjust the cap to rich it will close the choke plate. The PO of my jeep didn't have mine on correctly at all. It took a little while find the problem. In all honestly, I scrapped my thermo choke and installed a manual choke. 20 min and 12 dollars has made my life alot easier.

My bad, I didn't realize it was a electric choke from the picture. Ignore what I just said!:confused:

Yep, it opens all the way after warming up.
So, tomorrow morning, I will turn the key on, stop on the pedal and see what it does. Sound right? I verified 6v at the choke power lead.
Electric choke should have 12v to the lead as far as I know- typo or am I missing something ?:confused:

I took the choke apart again looking for the source of my trouble and think I found it. The cylinder inside the choke housing was gunky. Some choke/carb cleaner and q-tips took care of it. Now the butterfly plate moves freely and the spring is actually pulling the choke closed. Hopefully the results will be better when it's reinstalled tomorrow.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom