Electronic Ignition question

Electronic Ignition question

dave123

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ5
Ok, I have an factory AMC electronic ignition on my 1975 AMC 304 . I have heard much about upgrading to a GM HEI ignition.
On paper, this sounds like a great swap, not super expensive, easy, and supposed to really help. Problem is that I have heard that the GM parts are much harder than the AMC ones (gear, I guess). Some say this causes bad wear and big problems.
Has anyone done this swap? If so, how many miles since the swap? I am really interested, but don't want to damage my engine. Right now it is running great, only problem, sometimes when I splash around in the water, I have to get out and dry off the dizzy.
So if any of you experts can give me good experienced advice on the long term results of this swap, I would appreciate it.
dave

Last edited:
Thanx for the links Brock. I hadn't considered the ford solution. These threads all concern the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l , not the AMC 304 , and I see no mention of the wear issues, but I guess with the dura spark, that would not be an issue?

I'm not sure what I have, I think it's a presto-lite, I'm at work and can't check now. I did see in the first link something like "prestolite=out of luck"

Guess I'm looking for someone who has done the swap and put some miles on the Jeep since then. They really seem to dislike the HEI in the first thread. I know I had a 1975 Chevy Monza, and that HEI gave me years of great service.

Gonna do some Google-foo and see what comes up...

i have done it to my AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and it has been on there over a year. so far so good. i just bought a msd box though that im putting in but it is because it has a rev limiter.

you can buy a amc bronze gear and put it on the hei dist. that should solve your problem, you can get them from summit, and you can also get em from ebay

I've been running HEI for several years on my AMC 401 V8.
I bought a Mallory HEI for AMC V8's, it did not come with a Distributor gear.
The instructions read to remove the gear from your existing Distributor & install it on the new Distributor. I bought mine at Summit Racing.
I hope this helps.;)

I got some advice to use a dist. from a 79 cj with a AMC 304 . Put that with a module from a late 80's GM v-8 and a Ford e-core coil. This seems to be a good solution, no worry about the gear. If anyone interested, here is a link to the thread where it is all explained.

Ignition upgrade (Team Rush?) - JeepForum.com

If you want to go with the drop in H.E.I. I suggest getting a good one (D.U.I) and either use your old dist. gear or a new matched set. I love mine but have gone through two sets of gears and having them grenade on the road will scare the :censored: out of you. I went with a cheapie and wish I had spent the extra coin in the first place. Definitely worth it for the power gains.

thanx sonicr1 ;)

I'm going to try to do this in the next couple of days. I will take pics and, if anyone else wants, put some up here.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom