Emission Controls

Emission Controls

kal5336

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
84 CJ7, 258 inline 6, T5 Trans, Dana 300
Just got an 84 CJ7 w/AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and would like to remove the emission control parts, items, clutter. Suggestions or directed sites appriciated! Thanks.

Just got an 84 CJ7 w/AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and would like to remove the emission control parts, items, clutter. Suggestions or directed sites appriciated! Thanks.

No suggestions, just gut it out. Here's mine after a proper cleaning and gutting.

008a.jpg

Welcome to the site kal5336 :ww:

Like coldwater said, it can all go, just make sure that when you start pulling lines that you don't get rid of vacuum lines used by the carb. The rest of it, I would say with the exception of the EGR valve can go.

I got rid of all of my smog :dung: too, but I switched to a motorcraft/autolite carb, which changes vacuum lines/routing. But here's a pic of my engine bay.

engine_bay.jpg

i just noticed something about both engine pics. neither of you have the heater hoses routed to the intake manifold. mine is and i wouldn't mind getting rid of it, although my temp gauge is run off of the intake manifold

Different intake/exhaust manifolds. Up to 1980 the 199/AMC 232 i6 /AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l intake/exhaust manifolds bolted together and the exhaust manifold had a temperature controlled flap in it. The flap was there to retain some of the heat escaping out the exhaust to help warm up the engine in cold temperature situations. In 1980 (it might have been '81) AMC changed the design to what you have, there is a heater element in the intake and the coolant is routed through the exahust.

Elwood/Coldwater,

Could you tell me if you are running both your vacuum advance and EGR valve off of the ported vacuum port on your carb?

Also, what did you do to prevent vapor lock without a carcoal cannister?

Thanks!

Elwood/Coldwater,

Could you tell me if you are running both your vacuum advance and EGR valve off of the ported vacuum port on your carb?

Also, what did you do to prevent vapor lock without a carcoal cannister?

Thanks!

Yes, I still run the vacuum advance from the carb to the dizzy. I also still run an PCV valve with the vacuum coming from the port on the EGR valve. I also still have a charcoal canister, the vapor side of the PCV and the carb bowl vent still go to the charcoal canister. :chug:

Yes, I still run the vacuum advance from the carb to the dizzy. I also still run an PCV valve with the vacuum coming from the port on the EGR valve. I also still have a charcoal canister, the vapor side of the PCV and the carb bowl vent still go to the charcoal canister. :chug:

Thanks!

...And your EGR valve is running over to the ported side of the carb, correct??

From your description. it also sounds like the earlier carcoal canisters did not have a vacuum port...just the vapor hoses.

I have to wonder if all this emissions stuff really did any good...

Thanks!

...And your EGR valve is running over to the ported side of the carb, correct??

No. The only line coming off of my EGR valve is the a vacuum line to the PCV valve.

Oh, I remember what vacuum line you're thinking about. No, the ported vacuum line on my carb gets its vacuum from a port on the vacuum line to the power brakes.

care to draw up a little diagram for me i dont have my egr hooked up at all and i'd like to know how yours is hooked to see if it will help mine any.
do you just run a constant vaccum to it

I THINK the EGR valve works off of ported vacuum. Constant/manifold vacuum wouldn't work too well because then the EGR valve would be open even at idle, which would cause the carb to run too lean.

Unless I am wrong, you will need to find a ported vacuum source, either off of a nipple on the carb, or something else already receiving ported vacuum from the carb.

Hey Cheapjeep, do you still need that diagram? I recently moved and have been working off my laptop... All of my CJ stuff is saved on the desktop.

I found it, I had to dig through a bunch of old posts, I knew I had posted it here somewhere;

vacuum_setup.jpg

You are going to want to keep the EGR and vapor canister systems.
Without them there are more headaches than the neatness is worth.

Its akin to getting rid of your alternator and coolant overflow bottle;)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom