sapulpa cj

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1990 dodge dakota
1992 jeep cherokee
1978 cj-7
2000 zrx1100 streetbike
could someone please direct me to who makes performance goodies for the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l inline 6?

i really prefer the six over a v-8 for several reasons,so who makes cams,intakes,hedders,valvetrain,carbs.

thanks in advance as i did not see a performance catagory listed.

could someone please direct me to who makes performance goodies for the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l inline 6?

i really prefer the six over a v-8 for several reasons,so who makes cams,intakes,hedders,valvetrain,carbs.

thanks in advance as i did not see a performance catagory listed.

Clifford Performance is the premier manufacturer for AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l performance parts. Competition Cams has a wide variety of AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l cams...I've used them a few times with good results. carburetion is a lot of preference. Weber/Redline has a good carb settup, Holley and Edelbrock both make carbs for the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l and of course there is always the mc2100.

I dont take a lot of stock in the intake/header upgrade as the head design of the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l is the big problem. Without porting and polishing, headers and intake upgrades are virtually worthless.

there are a lot of home-grown upgrades that work really well with the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ...from a 4.0 headswap, to HEI or TFI ignition, fuel injection, and a multitude of things you can do to your engine to get better performance.

Heddman makes a good split header, and a chevy HEI distributor is a good choice in the ignition department.

what hei distributor do i need to look for?

thanks.

thanks.
DUI Ignition $300 Davis Unified Ignition 40820BL - Davis Unified Ignition AMC Street/Strip D.U.I. Distributors - Application - SummitRacing.com

CRT Performance $155 Jeep HEI's

BestAutomotive $75 AMC Distributor HEI Jeep Ignition 290 304 343 360 390 - eBay (item 200572644617 end time Mar-05-11 12:48:31 PST)

And there are others but they all use GM coil, module and cap. When you need parts head to NAPA. Makes my wonder: why pay more. Okay, okay, I'm not going to recommend the eBay special. That one may fly apart when it spins but what about the first 2? Is the CRT as good as the DUI? I would think they both deliver just as strong of a spark since they have similar components. These prices are all over the place.

Check out this link. 73CJ likes his CRT distributor and they are priced right too. http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/ignition-upgrade-8084/#post69071
The HEI distributors are easy to install since everything (coil, module) is in the cap. Some recommend adding a relay to give the coil full alternator voltage.

thanks.

You can use the stock distributor from a Chevy inline 6 and they're easy to find and cheap at the bone yards, but you have to change the gear. You're better off buying a new HEI that's already set up for the AMC inline 6. I bought mine new for less than $60 from ebay ready to install. It starts easy and hasn't missed a beat so far with about 5000 miles on it. Since it was a cheap aftermarket HEI, I plan to grab a spare module, pickup coil and coil to keep in my tool kit just in case.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom