engine ping

2lostspace

Jeep-CJ.com Moderator
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
82 CJ-7
Engine 258
Transfer case dana 300
I get this pinging rattling sound in my engine when under load, climbing hills or running at 2800rpm. It happens less with higher grade fuels. It is a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l with a NP435 trans (4spd only use 3 of them). The engine has had some of the teamrush done to the distributor system. What are some of the things to do to fix this. What is the power ban on the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ?

Check and adjust the timing. its too far advanced, most likely. Or the dizzy is throwing the advance too far in under load too quick.

A higher octane fuel does one thing...Resist pinging better than a lower grade fuel. Nothing else.

Check and adjust the timing. its too far advanced, most likely. Or the dizzy is throwing the advance too far in under load too quick.

A higher octane fuel does one thing...Resist pinging better than a lower grade fuel. Nothing else.

X2 on the timing

I will check timing this weekend. I will also do a tune up on it also. Now with that said, with the Ford cap and coil what should I gap the plugs to and what should the timming be set at?? On the plugs I have read that they should be anywhere from 35 to 45.
Thanks for the help.

I will check timing this weekend. I will also do a tune up on it also. Now with that said, with the Ford cap and coil what should I gap the plugs to and what should the timming be set at?? On the plugs I have read that they should be anywhere from 35 to 45.
Thanks for the help.
I hope that works for you. If not, in a high mileage motor that can be a sign your POS factory nylon timing gear is going bad.:eek: Good Luck

Engine was rebuilt 40k ago and had a set of steel gears put in at the time of the rebild. I hope that I am good to go there.:)

Engine was rebuilt 40k ago and had a set of steel gears put in at the time of the rebild. I hope that I am good to go there.:)
Rodger that, Over. I had it happen to me on a well used Jeep I purchased. Look's like a good tune-up will cure your trouble.:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks