Engine revving wide open

Engine revving wide open

zig

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 cj-7, 304, 400 trans with quadra-trac 4x4, Full fiberglass body
My wife drove the jeep home from work and it ran just fine. Then about 10 minutes later i went out to move it and started it up and it was like the throttle was stuck wide open. I turned it off real quick then tried again and it backfired really bad. So I let if cool down for a couple of hours and tried starting it again and it ran wide open again. I checked the pedal and throttle linkage and everything seems to be alright. Is there any thing else i didn't check that might be the problem.

Did you check to see if the throtle return spring had came off or broke?
Good thing it didn't happen when she was driving it.

Did you check to see if the throtle return spring had came off or broke?
Good thing it didn't happen when she was driving it.

^^^That was my first thought....X2

The spring is hooked up and ok. This makes me not want her to drive it anymore.

Check the choke . If its ok then i would start by looking for a large vac. leak . If an engine leans out getting to much air not enouph fuel it will do that. And thats what a vac. leak does it leans out the engine .I would bet thats what it is . A can of brake cleaner will help . Carefully spray it around all the vac. lines and base of the carb and the intake seal if the engine revs up or slows down thats where the leak is . Just dont spray the hot parts to much .Tho iv never seen the brake cleaner light up im sure it could . I spray it directly on my headers and never had it light .

Last edited:
Wide open? or high idle?
Pull off the air cleaner and look down the venturi to see if the throttle plates are closing and in sync with the pedal.

Check the floor mats. Wait, no, that's her car.

wide open? Or high idle?
Pull off the air cleaner and look down the venturi to see if the throttle plates are closing and in sync with the pedal.

x2. ^^^

Sasquach- I took the carb completely off tipped it up and worked the throttle. The rear throttle plates were not closing at all. There is a little bolt on the side that was loose so i tightened that and it helped alot but still has a little bit to go to be closed completely. Anything else that i need to check so they close or will it need a rebuild. thanks

You need to get some pics posted or the make and model of your carb for more specific help.

Throttle plates don't close 100% anyway or it's not gona idle so maybe your good?

Picture worth a 1000 words ;)

Its a Edelbrock Performer 600. I will try and get some pics up.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom