Jelwell1982

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7 stripped, stolen recovery...
partial 4.2L 258ci
1990 Ford Bronco 5.8L
'85 CJ7 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l
Hasnt been in my possession for about a year, I finally got all the peices back on the engine, went to crank it over and get a loud click.
Pull the starter off have it tested, tests fine.
Replace the Solenoid Switch
Still the same thing.
Replace + and - batt. cables. same thing
Replace the starter cable nothing...
I start thinking maybe the parts store didnt test the starter right....
I pull it and use jumper cables from the battery....engages fine...
I then re-install it and use jumper cable to jump it again and just bypass the solenoid all together.
This time it just makes a soft click (like it wont budge)

I tried spinning the flywheel with the starter off and couldnt budge it.
I also tried a 3/4 socket on the balancer?pulley and again couldnt move it....i did only have a 1/2 inch ratchet, was thinking about trying a breaker bar.
I also tried the same thing with the spark plugs removed( read somewhere to do this....)
I'm a seized up?
Any other way to test this?
My next test was to drag it behind the bronco and try to pop the clutch, but seems extreme considering the jeep is sitting on a flat too....

Thanks,
Jeremy

With the spark plugs removed it should be easy to turn the engine. Shouldn't need to pull it with a Bronco. This isn't sounding good.
You say you "just got the pieces back on the engine". Tell us the rest of the story.

With the plugs pulled, you should be able to turn it by hand. I'd pull the belts to eliminate frozen water pump, alternator, etc. Also, (dumb question here), are you sure it's in neutral. Might want to put the rear up on jack stands and see if the drive shaft will rotate (have had clutch plate freeze on a tractor that sat up for a long time). You can also shoot a bunch of PB in the spark plug holes to possibly free up a piston. If that does it, you'll probably want to tear it down anyway.

when i was growing up on the farm and we had an engine seize from sitting we would put ATF in the cylinders (only enough to cover the top of the pistons so it can work down in the rings) and let it sit for about 3 days +/- and try to crank it 9x out of 10 it would work. if you get it spinning like that it will smoke like a b^%^& for a while but it shouldnt hurt it any.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom