Engine sputtered

Engine sputtered

Shazam

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ-5 Renegade with '74 304 V8 & Edelbrock manifold & carb, Heddman headers & sidepipes, T-150 3 speed, Dana 20, Dana 30, AMC 20
Hi guys. Just got my CJ back from its longest day trip yet and it sputtered/hesitated. I pulled over at a good spot and added fuel thinking it might be running out but that wasn't the problem. I fired it up and it ran fine the rest of the way. Thoughts?

Maybe replace the fuel filter? Sorry to post for something so benign as it only happened once but I'm not a mechanic and want the confidence to take the old girl out and around without worrying about it. Any thoughts appreciated! Thanks.

Yes fuel filter may be a good thing to check out.

It may have gotten low enough in tank to start picking up loose stuff at the bottom of the tank I suppose... was it "low" on fuel?

Did you happen to look at any of the gauges while it did this? I know it's a long shot, just curious if the oil pressure, temp, and volts all looked normal.

It could have been a bunch of other things i suppose, I think you got it right though, especially since it's not having current problems etc.

Fuel filter is easy to check out at least. :cool:

:chug:

I didn't even think to look at the gauges and the fill-up only took 5 gallons so I should have had 10 gallons left. I'll try the filter and go from there. Thanks.

I agree with JR74CJ5. If it's a fuel filter it is most likely to sputter when you need lots of gas such as on the highway or going uphill.
There are other possibilities too such as ignition but I think a fuel filter makes the most sense.

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom