Engine Swap Questions (before I begin)

Engine Swap Questions (before I begin)

Coach

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7 / 4.2 I-6 / Auto / Dana 30 / Dana 300 / AMC 20 / Hard Top
I have an '86 CJ7 that is basically bone stock and the specs are listed to the left. I have a few questions and I'm sure you guys will be able to answer for me. Some may seem obvious, but I have had a lot of time on my hands today and I made a list of a few of the things I'm not sure about.

What is the best way to store both the engine I plan to swap in and the engine I'm taking out of my jeep? Can they be left on the floor of the garage, make a pallet to support them on, or do they require an engine stand? AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l out and Chevy 350 TBI in.

I'm pulling the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l that has just over 100,000 miles on it and the TF999 Transmission , is Craigs list the best way to go about selling them off? I will search locally to see what the market is on pricing them.

My CJ has AC, would the compressor from the 350 be compatible with my AC system in the cab or would I need to do some swapping to get it to work?

Fuel Pump, with TBI I will need to increase pressure, so is in tank an option? Would it be better to get an external pump that has a built in reservoir and place it near the tank? Do I pull the stock pump out of the tank if I use an external pump?

Thats about it. I know some of these are random questions, but I'm trying to do as much up front research as I can to reduce wasted time and money once I get under way.

Thanks,
Coach

I have an '86 CJ7 that is basically bone stock and the specs are listed to the left. I have a few questions and I'm sure you guys will be able to answer for me. Some may seem obvious, but I have had a lot of time on my hands today and I made a list of a few of the things I'm not sure about.

What is the best way to store both the engine I plan to swap in and the engine I'm taking out of my jeep? Can they be left on the floor of the garage, make a pallet to support them on, or do they require an engine stand? AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l out and Chevy 350 TBI in.

I'm pulling the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l that has just over 100,000 miles on it and the TF999 Transmission , is Craigs list the best way to go about selling them off? I will search locally to see what the market is on pricing them.

My CJ has AC, would the compressor from the 350 be compatible with my AC system in the cab or would I need to do some swapping to get it to work?

Fuel Pump, with TBI I will need to increase pressure, so is in tank an option? Would it be better to get an external pump that has a built in reservoir and place it near the tank? Do I pull the stock pump out of the tank if I use an external pump?

Thats about it. I know some of these are random questions, but I'm trying to do as much up front research as I can to reduce wasted time and money once I get under way.

Thanks,
Coach

Hi Coach, you can store the chevy on the floor, in a light truck tire, or a 4x4 under the pan, a pallet, or on a motor stand.

Id try craigs or ebay, in that order.

The A/C pump on the chevy will work, if you find the right guy to mate them together (you will need a couple custom hoses, most A/C shops have the parts and tools to do it.

External pump would be easiest install, there is no pump in the tank on your jeep now.

Hi Coach, you can store the chevy on the floor, in a light truck tire, or a 4x4 under the pan, a pallet, or on a motor stand.

Id try craigs or ebay, in that order.

The A/C pump on the chevy will work, if you find the right guy to mate them together (you will need a couple custom hoses, most A/C shops have the parts and tools to do it.

External pump would be easiest install, there is no pump in the tank on your jeep now.

Doh! I knew the question about the fuel pump, since its mechanical and sits on the passenger side of my block. I was reading some stuff today about in-the-tank pumps and forgot all about the stock location.

Very helpful on the rest too. I will probably need an AC shop to trouble shoot my current AC system anyway, but didn't know about compatability between the two.

The more research I'm doing on the swap, the less daunting it seems. I know it will take time, money, and patience but it seems very doable and a fun project to boot.

Thanks,
Coach

An external elect. pump is all you need. The TBI doesn't need high pressure like the newer systems. It only needs 15 lbs.

Well, had the long talk with the wife last night about the "need" for the CJ and its place in my life. I really hope she now understands why I want to rebuild her better and stronger than before.

I'm not 100% sure she is all on board with the engine swap, but I think she is more there than she was before last night. If I can get a good price for the RV I'm trying to sell, I should be able to stash away about $6000 for the Jeep and all things it will need for the swap and misc future needs. It would be nice to have a nest egg to draw from that wouldn't involve the long discussions with the wife for approval. :)

She is a really great woman, plus we have almost 15 years of marriage, so her understanding my love of the CJ is very important.

So now the waiting game begins on the RV sale, once it goes, I'm starting a build thread on the engine and Transmission swap. I will keep researching in the meantime and evolving my plan for what I want this jeep to become. My number 1 goal is a reliable daily driver that gets 15mpg or more and will be able to tackle the medium trails I would like to tackle. Plus, I want to be able to road trip it to the mountains and back with relative comfort.

Very excited to be one step closer to my goal and plan coming to fruition.

Coach

Agreed. However, I would put serious thought into picking up an engine stand. Craigslist would be a good source. I find it's amazingly useful to be able to move the engine around the garage as well as having it up off the floor to do the minor prep it requires to get it in.

As far as the fuel pump, as long as you get one that runs a little over 15psi, you're good. Put it on the frame rail near the tank. The throttle body has a built in pressure regulator. Just make sure to run the return line back to the tank.

Agreed. However, I would put serious thought into picking up an engine stand. Craigslist would be a good source. I find it's amazingly useful to be able to move the engine around the garage as well as having it up off the floor to do the minor prep it requires to get it in.

As far as the fuel pump, as long as you get one that runs a little over 15psi, you're good. Put it on the frame rail near the tank. The throttle body has a built in pressure regulator. Just make sure to run the return line back to the tank.

I have a motorcycle jack that I could possibly use for it too. I would just have to make something to mount it with. I use it to move a 800lb cycle around the garage, so it should work for the engine. But, if I see an engine stand for the right price, I might just pick it up.

Thanks,
Coach

Horrible freight can fix you up with an engine stand pretty cheep and there is a place in Garland called Hose fast that can do just about anything you would like with the AC hoses.:cool:
I recommend the engine stand, you can roll it around and if you do need to do something with the engine you can do it with out benin down on your knees.:D

Horrible freight can fix you up with an engine stand pretty cheep and there is a place in Garland called Hose fast that can do just about anything you would like with the AC hoses.:cool:
I recommend the engine stand, you can roll it around and if you do need to do something with the engine you can do it with out benin down on your knees.:D

Thanks for the Hose Fast place, they may be getting my business when the time comes.

I was thinking of Harbor Freight, I hear their stuff will usually hold for a couple of engines, which is all I would need.

Thanks,
Coach

If you pick up a motor stand, get one with four legs and four wheels, dont get the 3 wheeler, they are not that stable and you can tip you motor over onto the floor. Hobo freight sells a nice 4 wheeler cheap, just over a C-note if I recall correctly, I have one.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom