engine swap

engine swap

kodiak0000

Jeeper
Thanks
Hi, I recently swapped a 1979 jeep engine(AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ) into my 1974 Jeep which originally had a 232since i did the swap it hasnt run right. I put a new distributor with points and a coil. I was wondering because the 79 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l had an electronic module if that is making the difference. If so can I buy a new electronic ignition coil distibutor that has a module inside it to maybe fix the problem?

you used the AMC 232 i6 dist. right? being as the engines are about the same it shouldn't matter. have you checked to make sure the timing is set right? the points are gapped correctly? you should upgrade to an electronic ignition, whether its TFI or HEI your choice, but the points should still run ok if everything is set right. hei is drop in one wire and go. so yes you can buy a different ignition setup and it will run better, assuming that is your problem. let me ask you this was the motor you put in used, or rebuilt?

if you get a hei make sure you buy the right gear so it dont get chewed up.

Thanks for your replys. yes i used the AMC 232 i6 distributor. It might also be my carb. Its a 2 barrel carter i think. I bought a howell fuel injection kit for it and that may make it run better. im also going to run the hei distributor as well. Can any one give me advice on a good swithc for changing fuel lines also. I have an "old" manual switch and i'd like to put in a new one since im going to be running an electric fuel pump. Thanks

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom