Engine tick: 4 cyl

Engine tick: 4 cyl

paramed1976

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ-7, 4 cyl 151, 4 speed with original chrome wheels, sitting curently on 235/75/15
Thought I would hit all the gear guru's on here.....

I have searched the forum for an answer but have not seen this exact problem yet. I have an 81 CJ7 that is basiclly stock. It has a GM 151 4 cyl with a new carb, slight oil leak on the back of the valve cover (not enough to drip on the carport) and a ticking that starts just above idle. It does get faster with higher RPM, does not go away once the engine is hot, and is loud enough to be noticeable when i pull up to a red light. Another curiosity is that my oil pressure gauge constantly moves between 50 and 60 when the engine is on. Even at idle it constantly bounces instead of stays constant. I just changed the oil and put in valvoline extended mileage blend ( should i use the shell rottella in it?)

I ran some sea foam through the oil just before changing it hoping it was a clogged lifter. no change. The lifters all seem to move in sync when running with the cover off.

Should I be looking for a lower problem? Any help would be appreciatted!

sounds like a lifter needs to be adjusted

as far as the oil pressure, you need to see if the gauge or sending unit is ok before crawling all through the engine

sounds like a lifter needs to be adjusted

as far as the oil pressure, you need to see if the gauge or sending unit is ok before crawling all through the engine

If they are hydaulic lifters one could be bad, the cam could also be worn on one lobe.
Another idea would be an exaust leak, they can make a ticking sound sometimes.

Thought I would hit all the gear guru's on here.....

I have searched the forum for an answer but have not seen this exact problem yet. I have an 81 CJ7 that is basiclly stock. It has a GM 151 4 cyl with a new carb, slight oil leak on the back of the valve cover (not enough to drip on the carport) and a ticking that starts just above idle. It does get faster with higher RPM, does not go away once the engine is hot, and is loud enough to be noticeable when i pull up to a red light. Another curiosity is that my oil pressure gauge constantly moves between 50 and 60 when the engine is on. Even at idle it constantly bounces instead of stays constant. I just changed the oil and put in valvoline extended mileage blend ( should i use the shell rottella in it?)

I ran some sea foam through the oil just before changing it hoping it was a clogged lifter. no change. The lifters all seem to move in sync when running with the cover off.

Should I be looking for a lower problem? Any help would be appreciatted!

Paramed I have the same tick in my GM 151 and I have talked it over with a couple of knowledgeable folks here in town and:
1 - lifters need adjusting(being hydro lifters)
2 - burnt valve
3 - lifter has leaked down(not holding any oil)

I'm not a mechanic but I have a little bit of common sense(I think) and I am almost sure it will turn out to be a bad lifter.(the way my luck runs-lol)

If you fiquare it out soon let me know... I have worse probs to solve right now

good luck

Thanks for all the replies... May try getting a lifter kit and see if that fixes it

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom