Ever install a LAKEWOOD Bellhousing 77-410 in your Jeep?

Ever install a LAKEWOOD Bellhousing 77-410 in your Jeep?

NM4x4

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ8 Scrambler - AMC 360, T-176, SOA YJ, Det. Locker, 411s
1982 CJ7 to CJ8 Tube Chassis conversion, LS1, Currie 60s,e etc. ongoing
1986 CJ7 Renegade - last year w/ D44s, full cage.
Has anyone ever installed the more durable, more expensive, steel LAKEWOOD INDUSTRIES 77-410 bellhousing to their Jeep instead of our weak aluminum stock bellhousings? I need some advice if the cost was worth it, mods., cust. service, etc. My problem is I am trying to convert the super unique T-18 -1b Jeep (not Ford) Transmission behind a 360. I do have the 6:32 1st and Novak is telling me I specifically need the '78/'79 Jeep CJ bellhousing for the irregular, non-butterfly bellhousing......which I cannot find in northern NM. Novak told me a can convert my unique T-18 -1b 12" input shaft (from early J truck) to their 7" for $200, but I am on the fence about spending $450 on a LAKEWOOD. Welding the Jeep alum. bellhousing sounds like a bandaid plus I am wasting time trying to find one. Anyone? LAKEWOOD IND, Anyone, Bueller.....Bueller? THX

I’m not sure if I completely understand the situation but….

It sounds like what you have is a T-18 out of a FSJ. These transmissions come with an adaptor (around 5” long, they vary depending upon application year) between the front of the Transmission and the bell housing; the front of the adaptor has a T-15 bolt pattern. I believe this was done in the FSJ to push the Transmission back so the shifter would clear the dash. The FSJ T-18 in a CJ5 will make the rear driveline too short but can be used in a CJ7 or CJ8 however in my opinion it would be better to do away with the adaptor and go with the shorter front shaft; this will give better rear driveline angles. The 1977 to 1979 CJ bell housing is drilled and tapped for both the Ford “butterfly” and the CJ T-18 bolt pattern. (The T-150 that was the standard 3 speed Transmission offered for those years uses the “butterfly” pattern.) This is why Novak was talking about a bell housing from those years; you may be able to find a used CJ bell housing in the bone yard or internet for a reasonable price.

I am confused about what a T-18 “B” is but assume it is the 1980-1981 version used in the FSJ J-20 trucks with the rear adaptor for the NP208 Transfer Case in lieu of the Dana 20 . If this is the case the NP 208 rear adaptor on the Transmission is longer than the ones set up for the Dana 20 adding to the short driveline issue.

First, thanks for the response...our research/history with the T-18 (not mine) is the same.

I have the super unique, Jeep (not Ford) T-18 -1B supposedly out of a 1967 to 1972 or so JTruck. The Input Shaft is roughly 12" long and yes the 5" extra long bellhousing. I am not concerned with output side of things because it it tied to a rebuilt Model 20 already (purchased as a package deal) with a flanged yoke.

The problem is the JEEP (not Ford) T-18 -1Bs 4 bolt pattern to bellhousing. JEEP T-18 -1Bs are not the typical, symmetrical, "butterfly" or "X", pattern of the Ford T-18 or T18a. The Jeep T-18 -1B driver side bottom left hole is about 4" below the top left.....behind where the clutch lever arm enters the housing. Novak Conversions website tell us to stay away from the Jeep (specifically) T-18 -1B due to its unique gearing and lack of replacement parts.

However, I am lucky because this unit has the 6:32 1st and is the diesel Overdrive gearing. Also it is already bolted up to a rebuilt Model 20; so I really want to try and make this conversion.

So here I am. On eBay people want about $100 to 200 for a used AMC 150 /176 alum. housings. Then I would have to drill and weld the fins to make a thick and unique hole behind the clutch fork. Weak aluminum housings, challenging to weld, dirt = porous alum., etc. = not worth the money probably.

Next Novak emails me that specifically the 78 and 79 CJ7 have the housing that will work. Cannot find one, specifically. Novak has the input shaft conversion kit, just not a housing for my unique bolt pattern.

Cut scene, enter LAKEWOOD INDUSTRIES 77-410 non scatter shield hydro formed steel bellhousing. I figure - for the super expensive price of around $450 I can drill and weld a new nut on the inside (so it doesn't fall off during use) between the clutch fork and housing.

My concern is has anyone done this? Is the "stack" or spacing from pilot bushing to face of Transmission of the 77-410 7" or 6.75", etc. Did the LI housing bolt right up to your AMC 360 or 401 with no mods? And lastly was the LI worth $450 or should I sell my polished and painted J truck housing to M20 entirely. Maybe I need to go to a street car website?

Oh, by the way....I have a junk '73 CJ5 in my yard. It has the AMC 304 T-15 in it, but I have not even looked at it because I have read and no one has told me that the bellhousing has the NON Butterfly bellhousing for my T-18 -1B.

Thanks again. You are the first one to respond to this question which I have posted on 2 other "CJ Jeep sites".

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom