extremely stiff clutch, and hard to shift in to R,1,2.... what could this be

extremely stiff clutch, and hard to shift in to R,1,2.... what could this be

ltz400racer

Jeeper
Thanks
title says it all..
my '67 cj has an extremely stiff clutch on it and it is hard to shift into Reverse(it kind of make the grinding sounds like the clutch isnt engaged) 1, and 2.... even at a complete stop

i know my tranny oil needs to be changed.. but i dont believe that is the problem...

any ideas? thanks guys,
Andrew

Assuming everything is adjusted right, I would say it sounds to me like you have a pressure plate problem. If it goes bad you can get increased pedal pressure, and the stiff springs aren't gonna allow the clutch to engage fully causing your shifting problem.

I'm not sure if the clutch is properly adjust or not. I don't know where to adjust it.
Also, does a pressure plate have to be vehicle specific, or can it be found at autozone or O'rielys?

I'm not sure if the clutch is properly adjust or not. I don't know where to adjust it.
Also, does a pressure plate have to be vehicle specific, or can it be found at autozone or O'rielys?
To correctly adjust the clutch - there is a gap that you should measure when you depress the clutch pedal. You take off the access cover, press the pedal and then use shim or a feeler gauge to set the gap. Then make sure the throw out bearing is not engaging the pressure plate whil in the disengaged position.

That is the 'correct' way to do it - the way that I and most likely 99.999% of others do is just by feel. You want the clutch to release all the way but you only want to have push the pedal as far as needed to get there... I hate clutches that you have to push all the way to the floor to get it to disengage... :)

Always check and make sure the trow out bearing is NOT making contact with the pressure plate every time you adjust the clutch. If it is - it will wear out the bearing prematurely!

Just about any auto parts store will have a stock type clutch for your Jeep. A speed shop or an aftermarket store such as Summit or 4wd will have heavy duty ones...

My clutch uses a mechanical link - does yours have a cable? If it does - the cable could be binding also causing a problem.

The is a sound scientific way of checking the gap between the throwout bearing and the pressure plate...

Grab hold of the throw out arm and wiggle it... If you can move it a little there is a gap! :) You should be able to move it for and aft just a hair! :)

honestly.. im not sure what my jeep has.. it is such an old vehicle, and is so new to me.. you never know what kind of parts have been replaced, tampered, or rigged.... it looks like the brake and the clutch are on the same arm.. which doesnt seem correct...

They may be on the same pivot - but they are not the same arm...

Does yours look like this picture or is there just a cable going to the bell housing?

attachment.php

Attachments

• cj_clutch.jpg
    cj_clutch.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 2,282
I would still disconnect it from the throwout arm and be sure is slides easily.

make sure what slides easily???
sorry i just got confused there..lol its just a bare cable. there is no casinging surrounding the cable. so if your talking of the cable then its free! haha

make sure what slides easily???
sorry i just got confused there..lol its just a bare cable. there is no casinging surrounding the cable. so if your talking of the cable then its free! haha
Are you positive about that? You mean the cable is wrapped around a bell crank or some thing? Can you take a picture? I'm not real familiar with earlier model CJ's... :)

im not sure what exactly the bell crank is.. but i took pics.. and im waiting for my phone to upload them( sorry thats the only camera i have right now. haha i miss placed my cable to my real camera.)

*edit* i found what the bell crank is, and no its not wrapped around that in any way... pics coming your way soon!

heres your pics buddy

The bell housing mount( cable goes into this from the pedal)
IMG00104-1.jpg

whole cable (from bell house)
IMG00105.jpg
clutch end (tranny side)
IMG00110-1.jpg
hope it helps

Kinda hard for me to tell exactly what type of cable you have but it sure looks like it is in a sheath to me. I just want to make sure the cable is not binding before you tear into the clutch...

Were you able to get it adjusted?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks