Factory "trac-lock" not working

Factory "trac-lock" not working

Beaulac

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'83 Jeep cj, 258, auto
I did a little research and found out that my rear axle has the factory Trac-lock, but is is not working. Is this worth fixing, or should I just go with a cheap locker. I don't want to go as far as an air locker, but the extra traction would be nice

A traclock isn't an off road, lock em up and kill the mountains kind of locker, but their actually a pretty good trail unit that will handle most of what a CJ was originally built to handle. I would pop it out and stuff a new kit in it and call it a day, unless you're planing to hit some fairly hard trails. The traclock case can't be used for a lunch box unit, and will have to be scrapped out for a full locker, which when you add up installation and purchace, is pretty pricey unless you intend to get plenty of good use out of it.

They work decent but were out fast. I had one on a Jeep with 31's and it did a pretty good job on medium trails. Just do a rebuild and enjoy.

I did a little research and found out that my rear axle has the factory Trac-lock, but is is not working. Is this worth fixing, or should I just go with a cheap locker. I don't want to go as far as an air locker, but the extra traction would be nice
How do you find out if she is not working? I have that system as well...

lift up the rear and spin one whell - if it is working the other should rotate as well... mine just spins one at a time

lift up the rear and spin one whell - if it is working the other should rotate as well... mine just spins one at a time

Even a brand new "0" miles "Trac-Loc" won't power a tire that's off the ground.
That's strictly locker territory.;) That's why they call them Limited slip differentials. :cool:

A traclock isn't an off road, lock em up and kill the mountains kind of locker, but their actually a pretty good trail unit that will handle most of what a CJ was originally built to handle. I would pop it out and stuff a new kit in it and call it a day, unless you're planing to hit some fairly hard trails. The traclock case can't be used for a lunch box unit, and will have to be scrapped out for a full locker, which when you add up installation and purchace, is pretty pricey unless you intend to get plenty of good use out of it.

Truth is "PowerTrax No-Slip Traction System has a model designed to fit a Trac-Loc carrier.;)

How do you find out if she is not working? I have that system as well...

Whens the last time it was rebuilt?
If you can't answer that question I would bet not.
Also Trac-Loc requires a friction modifier/ additive that goes in with your fluid change.;)

or should I just go with a cheap locker.

That's what you got, a cheap Limited slip differential. Not a locker. I put a brand new Trac-Lok in and it was worn out by noon on a Jeep event trial ride. Junk for anybody that goes off road. You get what you pay for. A mechanical is the only way to go for off-road. Don't waste your money on a rebuild.

That's the way to go! More Truth is LOL The only two L/S's that are any good are the Truetrac and Powerloc L/S's[/QUOTE said:
A L/S has clutch plates, a Tru-Trac does not. It locks with a helix gear jamming the axles together. It is torque sensing. Most people never get use to putting on the brakes lightly to lock it up when one wheel is off the ground. A Power lock also has plates but a much heavier case and clutch pack.

A L/S has clutch plates, a Tru-Trac does not. It locks with a helix gear jamming the axles together. It is torque sensing. Most people never get use to putting on the brakes lightly to lock it up when one wheel is off the ground. A Power lock also has plates but a much heavier case and clutch pack.

Don't forget the Powr-Loc has a 4 pinion carrier instead of 2 like the Trac-Loc.;)

A bunch of years ago I got a chance to go to Jeep and talk to them. I told them that the offroad package was not a real offroad package. No L/S and heavy shocks . In my mind I said what a joke. Then the Rubicon came out years later. They got it right. I've got a 05 Rubicon but love my 86CJ7
I have a powerloc up front in the 30 and a locker in the rear 44. This works for me.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom