Failed MA Inspection due to Ball Joints?

Failed MA Inspection due to Ball Joints?

care729

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'83 CJ7
First post here, did a little searching...

I took my 83 CJ7 in to get a MASS inspection sticker... It failed of course... some little things here and there which they said they would overlook but the main issue was that the ball joints were loose.

The mechanic/inspector said that he shook the wheel and that was how he could tell, otherwise I'd have to make an appt and come in for a full diagnostic $79.

My question is, if my ball joints were loose or messed up, wouldn't I be feeling a wobble in the steering at speed? I just came off a 500 mile trip and noticed very little shakes.

Am I getting worked over? Am I just not noticing the problem? I'm a novice mechanic at best with no tools here, so If I'm going to be replacing anything I'm going to be taking it somewhere on the lsland.

I would think the wobble may be wheel bearings. Need to be packed or replaced...

Have you jacked up the jeep front end and tried to wobble yourself yet? I'd do that, then look to see what's wobbling. If anything... :cool:

:chug:

My question is, if my ball joints were loose or messed up, wouldn't I be feeling a wobble in the steering at speed? I just came off a 500 mile trip and noticed very little shakes.
No. You very well might not notice any wobble unless the ball joints were dangerously loose. Jack up the front of your jeep and pull on the wheel yourself. You may need a friend to shake the wheel so you can look to see what is moving. The ball joints are more involved than if it is the wheel bearings.
Good Luck and let us know what you find.

Then there's the reverse method and you don't need a jack, lay on your back under the steering system and have someone turn the wheel back and forth just the amount of the freeplay and it will be obvious where the issues are.;)

Then there's the reverse method and you don't need a jack, lay on your back under the steering system and have someone turn the wheel back and forth just the amount of the freeplay and it will be obvious where the issues are.;)
X2 I like this methode alot it will let you know where all the slop comes from:chug:

Thanks guys, working on it this week. I'll let you know.

Upon asking around too, it seems I went to the most corrupt inspection place on the island that might be looking for an up sell.

This is on my short list of stuff to check out after reading the "what to do when you get your CJ home" post...

mass is hard to get a sticker. i had ball joints that needed to be replaced. i jacked up the front end, and grabbed the wheel at 12 and 6 and moved back and forth. the bottom was wasted, but the top was ok. i replaced them both anyway.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom