Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7,258/T5. (stock)
Power steering/power brakes.
Hardtop.

51 Ford F1 Truck
Guys IM putting back together someones tear down. Not sure if a 1980 CJ7 had a fan clutch or not?
I dont have the fan its on a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l .
The thing didnt have a radiator or fan in it when I got it. The PO had ran an electric fan at one time, the pulley was bolted up without a fan. I found a fan spacer in the back of the jeep.
I have seen two types of fans, one with the clutch and one with the spacer and a four blade fan.
When did this swap over to the newer clutch design come over and will the newer style with the clutch fit my 1980 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ?

Many thanks:chug:

According to the Morris online shop manual, both types were available. Rigid / spacer with 4 or 7 blades and the clutch type with 7 blades. The rigid fan was typical for the 6 cyl and the clutch type on the v8.

Read here -->> Jeep Informational Center at Morris 4x4 Center

Thanks for the info and link.

The clutch fan and fan shroud was part of the HD cooling package. There are also 2 & 3 Core Radiators. I also think the overflow bottle was part of the HD cooling pkg.

AMC did this on 6 and 8 engines.

If you use a clutch fan, there is a test to make sure its good in the FSM, Field Svc Manual. Has bimetal spring and when gets hot it grabs the center clutch more solid and spins with engine speed to cool. Then free wheels when the engiine is cool.

Electric Fans...
If you have the controls there... the Ford Contour dual fan.... is a common use for the Jeep Cooling and fits right on the radiator. Common write up if you want to look.

I do have the overflow bottle. The only way I figured it had an electric fan was it still has a hot switch wired on the dash. All the wires under the hood were cut and no radiator either.
I saw it had a switch and a pulley bolted up with no fan so I asked the P.O. and he said yes it had an electric fan from the guy he bought it from but he trashed the radiator and fan.
Basically I have an overflow bottle and a fan spacer for a cooling system haha
IM trying to get it back on the road after two other guys monkeyed and butchered everything as they went along.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom