Filling Dana 44 with gear oil

Filling Dana 44 with gear oil

Greenmule

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5 AMC 5.0L, Ramsey 8k winch, Goodyear MTR 35/12.50/15, 2" Body lift, Dana 44 Rear with ARB front and rear air locker, 4:1 Gear Reduction, Warn locking hubs front and rear, front disconnecting sway bar. Power Steering brace. Rock sliders. Acme hard top. TeamRush upgrade using MSD parts. E3 Sparkplugs
My 82 CJ5 has a narrow track Dana 44 in the rear but it seems to have a slight tilt down facing the rear of the vehicle. I just got the jeep about 6 months ago and want to change the diff fluids and will be using Amsoil as I already have it for other vehicles. The axle has a slight tilt up to the tcase. I am not sure if this is normal but as I look at the diff it looks like this tilt will lower the amount of fluid that I would be able put into the diff.

And thoughts or coments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Simple solution from somebody that don't know. jack up the hind end till the diff looks like it would stock fill it n put the plug back in.

If you do not off-road, doing what Battleship suggested is fine. But if you off-road, and need to change the diff fluid more frequently, replace the diff cover with a Ford pick-up front axle Dana 44 cover (high pinion). The fill plug is higher, and as a bonus, some of the covers are made of thicker steel.
Works great!

Is that tilt normal? I have ARB lockers in both front and rear and I plan on changing to the red ARB diff covers but that will be later. Again thanks guys. The comments are greatly apppreciated.

the tilt in the axle is to keep your u joint angles good, there is i think a 15 degree angle allowance, but the smaller the angle the longer your u joints will last, it doesnt come from the factory like that but i'm sure that the P.O. had done this because of lift purposes

That makes me feel better. The tires are 35/12.50/15 and I know there is at least a 2" body lift and I think a 4" suspension lift but I am not sure. The tires do rub as full lock in both directions. I will lift the rear when adding new fluid in the diff, that should assure that I add the propper amount of gear oil.

I run a Dana 44 narrow track with a double cardan and the pinion is pointing directly at the Transfer Case .

The output shaft drop angle should be the same as the pinion angle with standard u joints. Worth checking, since the PO may have not done it correctly.

When changing, I fill it up to the plug, put the plug back in and then add the remaining through the breather tube.

Post a pic.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom