Filling Transmission fluid

Filling Transmission fluid

AOrangeWIP

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ7 Golden Eagle. Atomic Orange paint. AMC 360, TH400 Auto w/ quadra trac T-case, AMC 20 rear, Dana 30 front.
Hello, I am very very new to the Jeep world. I recently (about 2 and half months ago) purchased my first CJ7 . I got for a pretty good deal. I have already done brakes all the way around and changed my booster and master cylinder using this forum. I have been reading this forum for quite some time now and just sitting back and learning. I took my jeep for a two hour cruise a couple of days ago and when I returned home I noticed some kind of liquid all over the passenger side fender. I opened the hood and it was all over the engine compartment as well. It appeard to be Transmission fluid. I cleaned the engine compartment and started looking for the leak. Turns out that hose that runs from the tranny cooler to Transmission had a crack in it. This was where all my fluid was coming from. I removed the bad hose and replaced it with a new one.

I am sure that my tranny lost a decent amount of fluid through all of this. The problem is that I can't figure out where the fill hole is on the GM Turbo 400 tranny in my jeep. Like I said I am very new to jeeps and to this particular drivetrain. Can anyone tell me where/how to fill this thing up? And how much fluid it should hold? I plan on draining the whole tranny and putting new fluid in.

Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to make sure that i explained everything correctly.

You fill it through the dipstick hole. Not sure how much it holds.

Thanks for the response guys. I was actually thinking about attempting to fill it through the dipstick tube? Do I just use regular ATF?

Sorry double post.

Do I just use regular ATF?

Yep. dextron 2 or the equivalent, I know Pete said 5 qts but remember you said you have a cooler
so that number may be off a little, start with that and check the level
and finish filling from there, do not over fill it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom