FJ20 T18 to CJ5 swap

FJ20 T18 to CJ5 swap

Tommy

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5 258 I6 engine, T18A Transmission, Dana 20 Transfer case, AMC 20 rear end, Dana 30 up front.
I currently have a 1981 CJ5 with a T-15 3speed attached to a Dana 20 Transfer Case all behind an I6 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . I just purchased a T-18 from a mid 70's J20 that had a V8. It has the granny low (turned the input shaft about 61/4 turns to get the output to turn once) but the input shaft is 13" compared to the roughly 7" shaft I currently have. Would it be possible and advisable to take the input shafts out of both and have a machine shop cut the longer shaft down, recut the splines etc., to the same dimensions as the shorter one so the bellhousing, clutch, shifting levers etc. all remain the same. Not that I am trying to make the job easier, but I'm a little reluctant to move everything back 6 inches since the rear drive shaft is fairly short as it is. I've read articles about putting a Ford T-18 input shaft in but this seemed to me to be a little more straight forward without changing to much.

Thanks for any help here.

Tommy

Oddly enough it is easier to put the T-18 from a ford truck in a CJ than to put a J-20 T-18 in a CJ. It will bolt to the bell and all you need is a $500 adapter for the TC and a new "special" pilot bushing. Check out the Novak adaptor page, it will make remarks about Jeep T-18 's in the swap section for this Transmission . Basically I 'm going to say this dog won't hunt. But maybe some one knows something I don't.
I will be watching this. :lpopcorn::beer:

I currently have a 1981 CJ5 with a T-15 3speed attached to a Dana 20 Transfer Case all behind an I6 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . I just purchased a T-18 from a mid 70's J20 that had a V8. It has the granny low (turned the input shaft about 61/4 turns to get the output to turn once) but the input shaft is 13" compared to the roughly 7" shaft I currently have. Would it be possible and advisable to take the input shafts out of both and have a machine shop cut the longer shaft down, recut the splines etc., to the same dimensions as the shorter one so the bellhousing, clutch, shifting levers etc. all remain the same. Not that I am trying to make the job easier, but I'm a little reluctant to move everything back 6 inches since the rear drive shaft is fairly short as it is. I've read articles about putting a Ford T-18 input shaft in but this seemed to me to be a little more straight forward without changing to much.

Thanks for any help here.

Tommy

I think advance adapter might make a shorter input shaft for that for the conversion, or at least they used to.

Oddly enough it is easier to put the T-18 from a ford truck in a CJ than to put a J-20 T-18 in a CJ. It will bolt to the bell and all you need is a $500 adapter for the TC and a new "special" pilot bushing. Check out the Novak adaptor page, it will make remarks about Jeep T-18 's in the swap section for this Transmission . Basically I 'm going to say this dog won't hunt. But maybe some one knows something I don't.
I will be watching this. :lpopcorn::beer:

I think advance adapter might make a shorter input shaft for that for the conversion, or at least they used to.

IO nailed it:chug:, the Ford T-18 is easier. I've done the swap several times. My wifes rig is running a T-18 , Dana 300 , Dana 44 's setup & my rig is running a T-19, Dana 300 , Dana 60's. My previous rig was a 81' CJ5 with a T-18 , the drive shaft is definitely short. I was running a 4" lift on mine. ;)

the short part will get you every time.:rolleyes:
what side is the front shaft on?? it seems there was a j truck with the shaft on the drivers side? :wtf:
IO nailed it:chug:, the Ford T-18 is easier. I've done the swap several times. My wifes rig is running a T-18 , Dana 300 , Dana 44 's setup & my rig is running a T-19, Dana 300 , Dana 60's. My previous rig was a 81' CJ5 with a T-18 , the drive shaft is definitely short. I was running a 4" lift on mine. ;)

Thanks for all the input. It sounds like the best bet is to stick with the tried and true methods. If I went with the new input shaft from Parts Mike, would that eliminate the need to get a different Pilot bushing/bearing and a different clutch because of the Ford splines on a swap from a Ford T-18 ?

Thanks for all the input. It sounds like the best bet is to stick with the tried and true methods. If I went with the new input shaft from Parts Mike, would that eliminate the need to get a different Pilot bushing/bearing and a different clutch because of the Ford splines on a swap from a Ford T-18 ?
The splines and the diameters could be the same. I just checked the site and couldn't find an input shaft for the T-18 (easily missed though). Your best bet is to email them and ask if they have a T-18 input shaft kit that you can swap into your Transmission and still use your existing disk and bushing.

But, IMHO - if I was swapping a Transmission I would take the time to put on a new disk, PP, TO bearing and pilot bearing.

The T-18 is one heavy SOB and I would not want to pull it again if I did not have to... :)

Thanks CJ. I plan on putting in a new clutch, bushing, throw out bearing anyway, was just wondering if it would be best staying with AMC parts or going with the Ford shaft and accessories. I was also wondering if the T-15 input shaft would fit. The bearings are supposed to be the same. Any thoughts? I have time so I want to think this through as much as possible before I start manhandling the beast.

Tommy

Tommy

Moving ahead with the swap. I picked up the short shaft kit and new clutch assembly from Parts Mike. The guy really knows his stuff and is available for tech support when needed. His directions for this swap are better than the others I've seen posted here. He doesn't miss anything. I am posting the site where you can get the directions if anyone else is going this route. I just started pulling the old long shaft out. I will post again when I'm done. Here's the site:

Rebuild a T18

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom